Monday, October 17, 2011

Something I Forgot to Say in "My Personal Story" Post

After I published my A Personal Story post, I thought crap I forgot to say... So now I am saying it.

I forgot to say: I am NOT recommending for any one to suddenly stop taking anti-depressants. I think that is quite dangerous, in fact. So please do not just go and throw away your anti-depressants. I was not quite 21 when I did this. I was impulsive at that time in my life, like I think a lot of people are at that age. Also, I am certain that the antidepressants I was on were not helping me at all. All they ever did was make me feel sick and drugged. Quitting medication like this cold turkey is not good and not recommended.

What I am saying is: the atonement of Jesus Christ heals both sins and afflictions. One  accesses the atonement for sin by faith and repentance, and one accesses the atonement for afflictions by faith and service.

I am also saying it is good to listen and act upon the words of the Prophets and Apostles. I believe they are angels sent to us with personal messages from the Lord. I am also saying that the Bishops in our ward are over us and have the power to receive revelation for the members of his own ward. If my bishop says, "Get over yourself and serve others," then that is what I need to do. If your bishop says see a psychiatrist and do what he says, then that is what you should you.

So please, please do not just throw away you anti depressants. We are all individuals. And we are all children of  God, and if we go to Him in faith believing we can be healed, then He will heal us.

I have kept this story secret for 15 years. Recently, I have felt the Spirit prompting me to share it. If my personal struggles can help some one else then that is good. The more people I have gotten to know, the more I realize that most people struggle with feelings of despair and depression. Truly, we all are brothers and sisters.

7 comments:

danette said...

So here is another question for you.
When you say "if we go to Him in faith believing we can be healed, then He will heal us."

What exactly do you mean? Does that mean I didn't need brain surgery to remove big tumor. Is all I needed was prayer to Heavenly Father and he would have removed it.

I believe and know that Heavenly Father was there when I had the surgery. That is how he wanted me healed. I am on a few medicines and that is how He wants me to heal. I am on a thyroid medicine and that is what He wants me on so that my thyroid is normal.

I imagine you believe in this stuff I just wish you would add it to your comment and say when you pray to Heavenly Father for help on healing you sometimes that means he wants you to have surgery or go on meds. I believe everything out there is what Heavenly Father had made for us. That is one reason why I use a epidural when I give birth. It is one thing Heavenly Father made for us and if we want to use it we can.

Sorry about everything I say I just want people to know that medicine is sometimes what he wants us to use so He can heal us.

Natalie said...

I think sharing your experience is a brave and unselfish thing to do. I think people will benefit from what you have to say on the subject, as it provides another avenue of hope for those who, like you, didn't find medication to be helpful. Thank you for your spiritual insights. I love your blog and read often, though rarely comment. =)

Courtney said...

Wonderful story and so inspirational- I think it is a lot of that mind over matter and willing ourselves to be better. I remember being much like you at points in my life and my Mom told me that I needed to look in the mirror and smile ... now I smile all the time, so much that people always say you're so happy and smile all the time.

Becca said...

Danette, I hope you can understand the title of these posts:

personal story. It's not a story about what everyone in this same situation should do or what everyone on depression meds should - it's about diane. it's about her own personal choice and experience.

I have many friends with depression and this most definitely would not work for them. but that doesn't change the power in the story. the power of the story is that when Diane turned to the Lord he guided her in a way that worked for her, personally. Heavenly Father does that for all those who turn to him. He knows us each individually and he will direct us as to what is best for each one of us individually. That's the power of personal revelation. I am certain that although 3 people may go to our heavenly father in prayer with the exact same problem...he will give them 3 different answers, because they are 3 different individuals.

danette said...

Becca, yes I believe that everyone will get a different answer to how they need to heal.

Mainly what happened is I felt like she was telling her Personal story yet at times it felt she said it in away that it was meant for everyone. Not only that but I am currently healing from a brain surgery and it has been hard to heal mostly in a spritual and emotional way. Not only that but I am also having a grieving process. So it hit me harder and I read it to how I was healing.

I never thought that sin caused depression. Yet I can see that now and I agree with her on that now. However sometimes depression doesn't come because there is sin. When I read it it felt like that is how she felt about all depression.
That is why I asked her. It hit me so strong that I needed to ask her because I have had depression with out sin.

I didn't mean to hurt anyone I was really needed to know if that is how she felt.

You know what I have learned because of my brain surgery. Is sometimes Heavenly Father will heal us just because he loves us. That means he heals people who have no faith at all simply because He loves us.

However we have many time where we need faith to be healed to.

So please to not be mad at me. Trying to heal is hard. I have talked with many people who have had to recover from things that hurt a lot. They have all felt the same way. One of the hardest things about healing to is that satan is going strong against us to. Making thoughts come into our heads. I have been through many hard things it feels like that is when satan tries his hardest.

I am sorry I miss understood your sisters post. It did help me out a lot still.

Becca said...

Danette - Wasn't mad at you just didn't want you to think that Diane was telling people how they should live or be because I know she would never do that. that's all. good luck.

Grumpy Grateful Mom said...

I'm so glad your are doing exactly what you feel prompted to do. Your story is very inspirational. I think, just like you said, everyone's path may be different, but doing service would certainly help so many, including myself.

So sorry you've been going through so much Danette. I'll say a prayer for you tonight.