I have several things to say about our homeschool experience so far. First and most importantly, my kids are good kids to home school. We are used to the routine now. The kids do a very good job at getting all of their work done and sitting for lessons. I like teaching my kids and being with my kids all day long. Home school in the home is good.
Second, homeschool in the community is just soso. I have had two different experiences. Ruth and Kate are taking a Shakespeare class in Salt Lake. They are with a group of teens that are good and nice and talented. They like it. The moms involved are sociable and pleasant. I wish I could be sure that we would have interactions with this same group post Shakespeare class. I have not yet been able to find anything very social for my younger kids. I tried doing a park day in our area for young kids-- that failed. I tried do a teen night out for older kids in our area-- that failed. I have tried to join two different co-ops-- both of those have failed. We have gone to a party and two field trips with homeschoolers in Davis county. (See we live just on the Davis County and Salt Lake border. So the Shakespeare class is pretty equal in distance to most of the Davis county events.) I can hardly get anyone to associate with me or my children at field trips and parties. With the acception of two women, I can't even get the mothers of homescchooling families to associate with me. I go to up them. I introduce myself and my children. I try and find things to talk to about with them-- but nothing. In many cases I feel like they just wish me to go away. In one way my experience has been weird, in another way, I feel like I am dealing with an HOA when dealing with the homeschool community. I would completely think I was socially retarded and the fault is all on my side except that I have not had these experiences with public school moms while volunteering in school and planning parties. I have not had these problems with my neighbors or my fellow church members. Socially, homeschool has been very unique.
Third, a structured homeschool education is far superior to what you get in public schools. Children can work at their own levels and progress as soon as they are ready. They can also choose to study things they are interested in. In a lot of ways, I feel like a structured homeschool education is a lot more like college. Children can choose a focus while still learning a variety of the basics. There is just more time for study and interests. I like this. John likes this. The kids like this.
So our conclusion thus far is complicated and mixed. I have been pondering and praying about this. The older kids are pondering and praying about this. We haven't come up with a we will definitely not do homeschool next year or a we definitely will. I want my kids to get a good education. I like being in charge of their education and knowing in very detail what they are learning. I also want my children to learn to live around and work with a variety of people. I want them to be able to talk to and be comfortable with people their own ages. I do not feel like my children are getting what they need socially. Another issue is seminary. Ruth will need to take seminary next year and it is at the school that is a 15 to 20 minute drive away. I don't want to drive back and forth to the school everyday. I feel like seminary is the church's education program for the youth and that is very important to participate in. So we are not positive we will continue homeschooling for all of our children. Because of the lack of social opportunities, I may even put Rachel into kindergarten after Christmas. Adam needs to be home until his eyes are working correctly. Homeschool is the best help for that. We may want to send all of our kids to high school because of seminary. On the other hand,. I think they need to be involved in the decision. If they do not want to go back, we can find another way. If they do go back, I am a lot wiser about being an advocate for my children. I know that I can stand up for them and I have also learned that it is imperative to read their textbooks and go over every website they are referred to. We have not made any decisions yet. But we are thinking about it, pondering about it and praying about it.
2 comments:
Sweet Deedee....It is pleasing to see that you and the family are putting good time and thought into this decision...your children are very intelligent and will do good wether at home or in public school. I agree with the chruch education as a priority...and am pleased that you have come to an understanding on dealing with the schools to make sure the children get what is needed to keep them stimulated and in a strong social atmoshere. There is balance and it seems like this home schooling experience has been good for all...and ALSO...YES gramma's are very very busy with many different things...but only if they choose that...and I am sure you will....I just hope that Heavenly Father gives me the oppurtunity to become a great grandmother so we can spoil those kids too....love you forever and always....YOUR LOVING MOTHER xoxoxox
I so appreciate your honest assessment of your experience thus far. I have often felt that homeschoolers don't take into consideration the necessity of socializing, but I see that that is very much a concern. I also greatly appreciate that you are involving your children in the decision. I am certain that with all the thought and consideration you have put into it, you will come to the right decision for your family.
Post a Comment