I love Pride and Prejudice. I love the book. I love the movie. AND I love having my kids watch the movie and read the book! There is so much that is good in this classic novel. There is so much to learn, and each lesson in many cases is directly opposite to what novels and Hollywood movies teach today.
- In Pride and Prejudice the only real villains are those characters involved in immorality. In today's society most of Hollywood's heroes are immoral.
- In Pride and Prejudice the climax of the movie, when all seems lost, is when fornication is committed. In many romantic movies of today, the resolution, or the brightest part of the movie is usually an act of fornication. Or in general fornication is promoted throughout the entire movie as just good and normal. A good example of this is the 1998 movie You've Got mail.
- In Pride and Prejudice being honest and fair and generous are virtues of the best characters. The worst characters are those who take advantage of other people. In many Hollywood movies, honesty isn't even visited as a virtue. Protecting yourself by whatever means is more virtuous then being honest and fair.
- In Pride and Prejudice having a good marriage is the grandest thing, and something to work for and improve yourself for. In Hollywood, marriage is promoted as old fashioned at best. A character does not have to improve themselves to be married. Accepting some one how they are is the true virtue. Divorce is even promoted as good and necessary. Happily Ever After is becoming less and less and marriage and more and more just a good friendship.
2 comments:
My daughers and I love that move and have watched it more than once. I agree with all of your thoughts.
Thanks for the thoughts and blessings to you!
Agreed!
Post a Comment