We forgot the camera as usual, but I took the kids through a tour of the State Capital building and then down to the Joseph Smith Memorial Building to see the Joseph Smith movie today.
When we first arrived at the capitol, we had a large group of people from Afganistan ask to take our picture. Without thinking, I just said okay. It was kind of funny having them one at a time pose with our family and take our picture. I am not sure why they wanted our picture. Maybe it is because such a large family in America is an oddity, or maybe they just like pictures of American children. I asked them where they were from after they took the pictures. It made me sad and a little guilty of our peace and obvious prosperity. What must we look like to people who have spent their lives in a place where extreme poverty is common, and war never ceasing? We must appear extremely ungrateful.
Ruth, Kate, and Johnny really enjoyed the tour and had plenty of questions to ask. The four younger kids were all quite well behaved. I am very glad they were, because one tour guide (not ours) looked at us skeptically and demanded, "How old are these children? Will they even get anything out of what we have to say?" I was polite.
After the capitol, we went to the Joseph Smith memorial building. We got to the Legacy Theater just as the Joseph Smith movie was beginning. All of my kids were really good. I was surprised that I never had to take Joseph or Anya out. I sat next to Adam. He seemed worried from the beginning of the movie. By the time it got to the part where the saints were being thrown out of Missouri and Joseph Smith and others were thrown into Liberty Jail, Adam was crying (quietly enough). He said the movie was too scary. I explained that all of this really happened and asked him if he thought Heavenly Father would take care of the good people even when things are bad and scary. Adam thought Heavenly Father would. So Adam just snuggled up close to me and continued to watch the movie. Once Joseph Smith escaped and made it to Nauvoo, Adam calmed down. At the end of the movie, Adam declared, "That was a scary movie, and that was a sad ending!" I would have to agree. That is a very sad movie. We are very blessed to have has Joseph Smith and other saints endure so much so that we can have the true gospel today.
No comments:
Post a Comment