Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Adam Gets Glasses


For about a year, I have wondered if Adam wasn't seeing well. Adam always watched the TV up very closely. When we told him to move back, he would say it was because he could not see. When I would ask Adam to find certain things in a picture he often would get it wrong. Adam also has been slower about learning to write his name and draw pictures. In fact, it took a lot of practice for Adam to be able to draw a circle just after he turned three a year ago. One year ago I took Adam to be tested for speech and other delays. They tested his eyes and hearing too. Adam came out fine and normal on everything and ahead in coordination and physical skills. For the eye test, they only tested to see if he had a lazy eye, or was cross eyed. Well, all this year, I still wondered about his eyes. So, when I needed to replace my contact lenses I set up an appointment for John (The Dad) and Adam too. (By the way, there is a federal program that covers one eye exam for all children under four for optometrist's who sign up. So Adam's exam was free.) The doctor asked why I brought Adam in and I told her about his writing and TV watching and picture book looking. I did mention that he is our most coordinated child and that he never falls down too. Well, she tested him using pictures, like she would an older person with letters. When she was through she said that Adam could see fine far away, but that he is very far sighted. She said that she found him to be a +8 in both eyes. She also said that she saw no signs of a lazy eye or cross eyes. Then she said that she wanted to use the computer test to make sure her diagnosis was correct. She dilated his eyes and the computer came up with the same +8 in both eyes. She said that most kids who have such severe far sightedness have lazy eye or cross eyes. So it is odd that Adam does not, but it is still very good that he does not. After John and I had our exams we picked out glasses for Adam and John and ordered my contact lenses. They said it would be 7 to 1o days before Adam's glasses were ready. On Monday, I called, after it had been 12 days, and they were ready. When the guy was giving Adam his glasses, he said that Adam could look across the street and see perfectly, but that he couldn't see much for 20 to 30 feet in front of him. I was astonished. I did not realize my little boy has been so blind. Today, I spent some time looking up farsightedness on the internet so I could get a better idea of what Adam's eye sight has been like. I felt astonished. I read a few things from other parents, but most kids were not close to as bad as Adam is, and all other kids that I read about had lazy eyes as well as severe farsightedness. The eye doctor wanted to see Adam after six weeks of his wearing glasses to see how his eyes are adjusting. I will go in with a lot of questions this time. At the same time, a lot questions about Adam have been answered and some things really have surprised me. I now know why Adam didn't watch TV until he was 2 years and 8 months, or why he didn't ever want to draw and why his letters are so horribly scrawly. I actually had several people tell me that Adam must have ADHD. I have always rejected that because he will sit with me and read for an hour and has liked being read to since he was a year, and that he is really well behaved for his primary teachers. They even say that he is interested and answers questions. So I am glad to find out what his problem is, but I feel bad that he has spent nearly four years of his life nearly blind. I can't believe that Adam can draw circles and people, that he knows all of his shapes, and that he has been able to write and recognize his A and d in his name.

Adam has always been our most energetic wrestle you down and bounce all day kid. So glasses for this little guy seem more like a dare. After only a few hours with them Adam had bent the frame (luckily it bent back), and after less than 24 hours Adam has scratched his lenses. (The older kids keep trying them on too.) It is a good thing I bought the warranty.

The doctor said that it would take Adam about 2 weeks for his eyes to start focusing properly with his glasses. But already we can tell that Adam sees better. It has been much less of a battle to keep his glasses on than we thought it would. Adam has been excited about the straps on his car seat, himself in the mirror, some picture books, and a couple of dvd cases. I hope that he will be able to see 20/20 in both eyes now. The doctor didn't seem concerned, she even said that his eyes may improve some with the glasses. Poor little Adam. I am sure sorry he has gone so long being so blind.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boy has gotton to be a big cat

rozanny said...

That's what happened to my brother. My favorite are the glasses that he took on his mission. He was in Chile and they had a ton of sandstorms... so his glasses were all sandblasted. And thanks for the advice on Ada... It's nice to know!

Monika Pardon said...

Ahhh. He is so cute in his glasses. I bet he'll break them in a couple of months.
Boy has gotten so big!