Friday, November 4, 2011

Giving It Time

About two days I ago, I looked out my window and noticed that our neighbors across the street were moving. I am not sure they had lived here for an entire 6 months. I know they didn't feel accepted in the neighborhood and ward and I wonder if that is why they took off after so little time here.

After living here for 6 months, I felt a little of the same. I felt like I didn't know anyone. I tended to be a little judging of the people around me because I didn't have any friends. (I knew this was wrong, by the way, and tried to be nice about people even in my head.) Well, that has changed. I know a lot more people in my neighborhood. I certainly don't know all, but I know enough to feel happy. I don't find myself making judgements of anyone anymore.  Because I have a few friends and feel accepted, it is easy for me to think that I live around a bunch of great people. And I do, and I did after living here for only 6 months. It just takes time and effort to make friends.

Now, if I had to move, I would feel so sad and I know I would miss living here because I like the people I live around and the people I go to church with a lot.

Oh, and I have to say, the day after the one family moved out, a new family began moving in, and guess what? They have 6 kids between the ages of 1 and 9! I am excited! Now there will be three big families here. Us: the mega-family, the couple down the street that recently had their fifth child (in six years), and the new neighbors across the street!

4 comments:

lesa said...

Hello, new to your blog. Coming from MMWB. Nice to 'meet' you.

Lesa

Handsfullmom said...

Isn't it amazing how much different it is when you have a friend? For me, it seems to take a year before I feel like I'm not new anymore.

And yay for more big families!

Amy said...

Hooray for big families and hooray for friends in the neighborhood. It took me WAY longer than 6 months to feel that way, so even though 6 months might be too long....it's a step in the right direction. :)

LeAnn said...

I think your home is going to be busy with all the children from the neighborhood. I have moved a lot through the years and I found that you do need to make the effort to be a friend in order to have friends. I was basically shy at first; but now much more out going.
Thanks for the thoughts and hugs to you!