Saturday, July 9, 2011

Big Scare

Friday morning, Joshua threw himself out of his bumbo seat and off of the kitchen counter onto the floor. I was standing right there, but I was turned around getting the other kids their breakfast. It took Joshua about 15 minutes to calm down. Then he ate and I checked him over. He seemed to be acting fine. He ate fine, his eyes looked fine, he was communicating fine. So I decided to keep a close eye on him and call the doctor if I noticed anything odd. After about 45 minutes, I noticed  that the side of his head that hit the floor was starting to get a large swollen spot. I called the doctors and spoke to the nurse. I was able to answer all of her questions in a positive way. He didn't have any fluids coming from his nose or ears; his eyes were fine; he had not been sleepy at all; he ate fine; he hadn't vomited at all; he was rolling around, making eye contact, grabbing for things and smiling. The nurse said that all sounded great, but she wanted to check her paper in case she forgot anything. She came back and asked if his bump was bigger than his palm. Yes, it definitely is, so I brought Joshua into the doctor's. The doctor looked him over. He passed all of the tests expect for that big bump. The doctor said that he thought given the size of the bump and the mushiness of the bump Joshua probably has a linear fracture on his skull. He said that in most cases the baby would need to spend the night in the hospital to be watched in case something happened. But because Joshua had no signs of a concussion, he sent him home with me and instructions to not let him sleep for more than 3 hours for the first 24 hours after the fall. This could have been very tragic! We have been very blessed. And Joshua still seems completely fine.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Sheesh! That's scary! I'm just glad he's OK. I also think it means you're a rock-star mom that you stayed so calm. Well done.

rozanny said...

Wow! I'm so glad he's okay!

LeAnn said...

Way Scary; I am glad he is ok.
Blessing to you!