Monday, May 9, 2011

My Mother's Day

My Kate woke up early-ish (we all slept in on Sunday), and made waffles!!! I couldn't believe it. My first impulse was to stop her. I thought we were out of baking powder and I knew she did not have a recipe. Well, Kate found a recipe in one of our old recipe books and just dumped the rest of the baking powder in the bowl which happened to be enough. When she heard I was nervous she brought me one of her perfect waffles. We had a nice family breakfast and then Kate, John, and Ruth cleaned up.

Later that morning, I was showered with gifts. I got a fourth bar stool (I actually wanted that a lot),  a card from Johnny, a painting from Adam, a homemade necklace and flower hair clip from Ruth, a trip to Maggie Moos from Kate, chocolate from the little kids, and a new Temple dress from John. Then it was time to get ready and go to church.

After church, we had an easy meal and headed down to Provo to say happy mothers day to Gramma. We had a lot of fun with all of the Utah Robertson family. We were really glad we went down, even though we didn't get back until after midnight on a school night.

For Mother's Day I was planning on writing my top ten reasons I love being a Mom. But I found it really hard to come up with ten reasons that were not just trite. I love being a mother. I love watching my children play, and read and grow. Motherhood is good and hard. I like that it is both. I like to do hard things. I love my little baby's and how sweet and cuddley and good smelling and soft they are. I love, love, love reading to my kids-- young and old.  I love hanging out and talking with my older kids and playing games with my middle kids. I love shopping with them, and going places with them. Sure I have plenty of unwanted poopy diapers, excessive crying, siblings fighting, and sick children, and spills that make motherhood hard. But the bad, the hard, and the gross stuff is not what makes up the majority of my life as a mother. Most of the time, I am not drying ridiculous amounts of tears, changing diapers, refereeing fights, helping sick kids, and wiping up spills. Most of the time I am cooking, cleaning, reading, playing, talking, and feeling rather peaceful as a mother. Yes, I have those days, but I did before I was a mother too. They were just usually all my fault back then. Now, I have 8 perfect scape goats :-).When I was a little kid, I wanted to grow up to be a mom. I have been very blessed to be just that, and I love it!

3 comments:

LeAnn said...

This was lovely and you are very blessed. Thanks for sharing your awesome Mother's day and thoughts on being a mother.
Blessings to you!

Natalie said...

What a wonderful mothers day. I loved your last paragraph, how much you love being a mother. I can relate, to that last line especially. I think often of how blessed I am to have children without any waiting or complications. You have such a beautiful family.

Amy said...

What a happy happy mother's day!