Monday, May 2, 2011

Our First 5K

Well, I was going to run my first 5K on Saturday, but I injured my ankle/foot. Since the race was in our neighborhood, I thought I'd try anyway-- not a good idea. Here is what happened. Ruth and Kate and their friend, Bonnie started out with me. The middle of the course, was actually our house. I knew right away that my ankle was getting worse. So, I stopped at our house after the first 1.5 miles. John caught up with the girls, and ran the other 1.5 miles. Ruth and Kate ran the whole 5K. I am proud of my little girls, and a little disappointed that I did not run the whole way, but glad in another way.

I could hardly walk the rest of the day on Saturday, and I am still having a lot of trouble. This sprain is particularly bad because the pain goes around to the bottom of my foot. Since, I walk on the bottom of my foot, every step hurts. I probably shouldn't have run at all. We are planning on doing a "whole family with strollers" 5K in May. We will see how that goes. I am taking this week off on exercise. I will need a dead line like another 5K to get me back on track after a weeks vacation. I am so bad at exercise. Hopefully my ankle/foot will be better by Friday. My job makes it impossible for me to stay down much.

In all, I think my husband is cool because when he ran the second half with the kids, he had them run real fast to beat other runners. For me, it is just, "okay, lets just go slow and steady, as long as we run the whole time."  And I think my girls are great for running their first 5K and running almost the whole way. I know that I could not run 3.2 miles when I was 11 or 13.

4 comments:

Handsfullmom said...

Good for John, Ruth and Kate! And I'm so sorry about your ankle. I hope it heals quickly.

rozanny said...

Good for you guys! I kind of heard a little bit about it on Sunday... but didn't really get the whole story. Is it just a sprain or did you get something like plantar faciatis? That's inflamation in the tendon right down the middle of the bottom of your foot. (Common in people who have had kids actually...) It usually hurts worse in the mornings and if you haven't moved it for a while. And it's usually worse a little closer to your heel.

LeAnn said...

I think that is so awesome that you are doing these kind of activities with your girls and husband. I do hope your ankle gets better quickly.
Remember to keep it elevated as much as possible and use ice packs. Also, try hard not to walk on it as much as possible. I will suggest that you take around the clock an anti inflammatory such as Advil this will help with healing and pain.
I was the nurse for the Spokane Washington Mission a few years ago and I gave this advice often. Elders do not know how to be careful.
Blessings to you!

John said...

thanks LeAnn.
Rosanne, you may be right.