Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A Blessing



I pulled out the kitten pot holder from the kitchen drawer where I keep pot holders and this is what I found. John looked closer and found the other blue pot holder and burn spots in the drawer. We have no idea what happened other than there was a fire in our potolder/dish towell drawer. We suspect that either one of the kids lit it on fire on a heated burner or one of my scented candles, got scared and barried it in the drawer, or I didn't notice that it got heated on a burner and put it in the drawer where it started a fire. Either way, we feel extremely blessed that we still have a house and all of our family members and pets. We asked the kids who did it, but no one would confess. However, Adam blamed our cat Boy. Johnny blamed Rachel. Kate blamed Dad and Ruth blamed Adam and Mom. We hope that one of our older kids is not lying. But instead of punishing anyone, we just explained that burning pot holders and dish towells should be put in the sink and the water should be turned on it. If it was one of the kids who got scared and put it into the drawer it is sure a good thing they closed the drawer so the fire smothered itself.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad your house didn't burn down also, that is soo funny that everyone blamed each other and Adam blamed the cat

Becca said...

oh my gosh! how scary is that!!!?!! That is such a blessing. it's so nice the HF takes care of us. sheeeesh.

and yes, i also find it entertaining that everyone blamed someone else, including Mom and Dad. I would never have blamed my mom and Dad. I only ever blamed Jay.

Em said...

Oh my heck! I think I would have had a heart attack. Seriously! I am always so terrified of our house catching fire. Whenever we go somewhere I always worry that we left something on somewhere or didn't blow out a candle and that we will come home to a pile of ash. When we moved into our house I bought two fire extinguishers, one for upstairs, one for down. That makes me feel a little more secure. I am so glad your house didn't burn down, sheesh, how crazy!!!

Oh ps...the pool I took harrison to IS a kids pool. It has several toddler pools where the water is very very warm and probably not even a foot deep......yeah. I don't know why he is so scared of it.

Shannon said...

Yes - that could have been really bad! Glad you're all safe!

Bethany said...

It is amazing how many times that we come close to disaster and Heavenly Father just steers us in the right direction at the right time.