
We had a very, very nice Thanksgiving this year. We decided to let go of tradition and to just do the things that we liked. We also decided to make it a lot smaller. We originally thought about letting everyone order the kind of pizza they like the best, but that fell through as the pizza places were all closed. I did have a backup plan, however. John had asked for a couple of traditional side dishes to be made at some point. He wanted mashed butternut squash, and emerald jello salad. I thought about it and decided to make a pork roast with those, because we like pork gravy on squash. When we found out that the pizza places would be closed this was the perfect plan b. John had already set his heart on BBQ ribs and was planning on ordering those instead of pizza. So John's plan b was to make his own BBQ ribs which he did. We had pork roast, BBQ ribs, emerald jello salad, mashed butternut squash, orange rolls, and a small pickle/olive platter. Then the kids got to pick out their own bottle of Italian soda, instead of pizza. For dessert we had banana splits. I spent no more than 4 hours cooking this year-- last year I spent around 20 hours.

I did not make any pies, because last year I made 10 pies and bought some icecream to go on the top. The kids asked if they could have the icecream without the pie. I had two pies mold and so I decided pies are just not for our family and that next year we would have banana splits. I asked the kids what they thought of Thanksgiving this year compared to last year. The unamimous vote was smaller and just foods we like is much, much better. Ruth said that last year was boring becasue all Mom and Dad did was cook and then clean up. She said that she liked having Mom and Dad to play with better than a lot of food. All I have to say is, "Out of the mouth of babes..." So yes, I felt very thankful this thanksgiving.

After lunch, on Thanksgiving we dipped caramels, nuts, and marshmellows for a yummy family activity. I made a lot of caramel turtles. Kate in the spirit of the season made caramel turkeys. I think she did a really good job.
4 comments:
way to go diane! Seriously! I like this idea a lot. And I think when we are doing our own thanksgiving, we will have our favorite traditional foods, but maybe we would have steak instead of turkey. haha. except mom and dad made the best turkey i have ever had this year. it was really really moist and delicious. first time i've ever really liked turkey.
and good job with the turkey caramels kate!
you guys are such a cute family
I love the chocolate turkeys. What are they made of? Looks like a great Thanksgiving!!
How Fun!! Ben and I would have been all for the BBQ ribs, we LOVE ribs. You guys are so great, I am excited to see you. When are you coming up?
Nice job on the turkeys Kate!
Post a Comment