Sunday, December 3, 2017

Stories From Ruth #11


It gets dark at four in England! When kids get out of school it is dark! No wonder children don't go play outside here. They come out and it's pitch black. 

Well things have been crazy. We have had appointments every day which is great, but it means we've been biking at least an hour every day. I have never been more fit in my life! Well this week has been interesting. We went up to Haverhill and on the way met up with our investigator Jodie! She is super sweet! Her phone had broken so we hadn't had contact with her, but we were able to set up an appointment. Also while we didn't have contact with her, she read and took notes on the chapters we gave her!

In Haverhill we met up with the Johnson and Stokes families! They were amazing! Brother stokes showed us how to get to every less active there! On the way to visiting less active I started talking to a woman who just ended up being one! She had moved and she liked the Church, but her son doesn't, and always tells them that they have the wrong address. It was pretty cool since she is open and the members have been trying to see her for a while. 


Last transfer I met this less active from Portugal with Sister Cook on the street, and I felt like I should ask him if we should meet. He was excited to meet and we set up an appointment for Friday. Friday comes around and we meet up with him. However it wasn't him. Turns out he had given us his friends number and his friend wanted to meet with us and learn about the gospel, so he just went along with it. Haha! I thought it was one of the funniest and weirdest things that has happened on my mission. 

We are teaching a miracle! Sister Murakane went out late at night and kept praying where to go. We both felt like we were going to meet someone, but didn't know who. At one point I felt like we needed to knock on every door of a flat complex. As we entered it we both knew immediately that this was a fourth floor last door thing. After we had knocked on every door and no one was interested we walked out. Sister Murakane had a distinct impression to go left and we did. Immediately there was this guy and we talked to him. He was excited to meet missionaries, but he speaks very little English. It is really hard to teach him, but he is reading a lot of the Book of Mormon! 

This week I have learned a lot about humility and my lack of it. I listened to this talk by President Benson called
"The Great Commandment - Love the Lord." It said that charity is loving God first.  It says:
"The great task of life is to learn the will of the Lord and then do it.
 The great commandment of life is to love the Lord...
It is the pure love of Christ, called charity, that the Book of Mormon testifies is the greatest of all—that never faileth, that endureth forever, that all men should have, and that without which they are nothing (see Moro. 7:44–47; 2 Ne. 26:30)" Also I feel like I should share: 
"3 Nephi 11:3 And it came to pass that while they were thus conversing one with another, they heard a voice as if it came out of heaven; and they cast their eyes round about, for they understood not the voice which they heard; and it was not a harsh voice, neither was it a loud voice; nevertheless, and notwithstanding it being a small voice it did pierce them that did hear to the center, insomuch that there was no part of their frame that it did not cause to quake; yea, it did pierce them to the very soul, and did cause their hearts to burn.
4 And it came to pass that again they heard the voice, and they understood it not.
5 And again the third time they did hear the voice, and did open their ears to hear it; and their eyes were towards the sound thereof; and they did look steadfastly towards heaven, from whence the sound came.
6 And behold, the third time they did understand the voice which they heard; and it said unto them:
7 Behold my Beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased, in whom I have glorified my name—hear ye him."

We need to be worthy to hear the voice of the Lord, put ourselves in a position to hear it, and then to listen. I love this scripture because they had to have their eye single towards heaven and looking steadfastly. They had to be intently searching and pondering. We have to as well. Whenever we feel the spirit, we cannot be satisfied, but have to diligently strive to understand what God is teaching us.

1 comment:

LeAnn said...

I love that Ruth is enjoying her mission and having great experiences. I really liked her last thoughts. I myself need to learn to listen more carefully to the spirit and then act upon it. Sometimes, I do well but not always.
Thanks for sharing her experiences each week; I love reading them.
Hugs for Ruth!