![]() |
| Christmas 2013 |
We have cut back on so much since we left Utah because that is what John wants for our family. He wants most of life to be just us together at home. But this year will be the single most isolated Christmas of my life.
Back in Utah we had several family get togethers and parties, we had school programs, music programs, a visit to Temple square with donuts with or without other families. We went to the mall to see the decorations and sometimes we would visit Santa Claus. We had wards parties, obligations toward the families we home visit taught, relief society parties, young men and young women parties. Then of course we had the usual Christmas baking and shopping and sending cookies to neighbors.
Christmas while fun, could be overwhelming and stressful. I am not one to stress, but I did try and make the season magical by doing a lot.
This year, we will have one family get together with my family. It's a 4.5 hour drive and we will go there and come back in one day. So most of that time will be spent driving. We homeschool and do it alone so there is no school anything. We do not have a ward right now because of weird boundaries, so we will have no ward party or relief society party or anything with the young men. All music lessons are done by me, so there are no concerts or recitals. We don't have Temple square lights to go and look at anymore, so there is no Temple square with donuts. We are poor, so we will skip all trips to the mall and Santa visits. Everything, except the one day trip to my parent's will be us at home and it is not at all stressful. We don't even have gifts to give to families in the church because we are not home and visiting teachers.
I did enjoy all the Robertson family parties and music concerts of days past. But not really all the church parties and obligations. I could not say which way I like better. Complete isolation or something to do 4 nights a week everyday from Dec 1st until the New Year.
I used to muse over the isolation of the Little House on the Prairie family. I think we have achieved close to that. If we had no electricity, internet or tv, I think we would be there and it is peaceful and not at all stressful just like I imagined.

2 comments:
Oh my, I feel happy for the peace and quiet of your life but on the other hand maybe too quiet. When I hear about the Christmas's of old; you do seem close to that. I do think your children will have rich memories of these experiences that will be anchors to their souls. In many ways, I think simple, sweet family Christmas traditions and etc is more the way the Savior would want it. I hope you have cherished moments with your one family Christmas party.
Blessings and hugs!
I'm going to miss you this Christmas for sure. We've been doing a lot on our own lately... Walter can't get sick, so we've been staying away as much as possible, and Amy needs her mom so I stay away from Jim and Judy more than we used to. My parents don't do big holiday stuff. They invite people to come hang out with them and then let us do the rest. It will be a different holiday for us too. While not as isolated, I feel more socially isolated than we ever have been here in the middle of both our families. We've been singing together as a family a lot... it makes me think of singing hymns together at your house or Judy's. We love you guys. Miss you, but I do hope you have a nice and peaceful Christmas. I'm also glad that you get to see your family more. It's nice that you get that after a while here.
Post a Comment