Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Surgery and Recovery

I am late posting this. John had surgery last Friday. I took him into the hospital at 9am. They brought him into surgery just after 11am. At 1:15, I received a call from the doctor. Surgery went really well. His bone went back together nicely. Once the pins and metal plate were secured into his fibula, the tibia and surrounding ligaments moved back into place. This was the best case scenario. If the bones didn't move back onto the ligament that connects the leg bones to the foot bones, then they would have had to cut open the other side of John's leg, force them back together and pin the fibula and tibia together. We are so glad that fixing the one bone, fixed everything else. Surgery went great!

I met John back at the hospital at 4pm. He had been awake for just a little bit and had been able to eat some pudding and drink some juice, so they let me take him home.

Noticing that John was rather unsteady still, I called the kids and had them set up a mattress on the floor in the living room. We got John home and helped him to his mattress. John welcomed the kids sitting with him and playing with him on his bed on the floor.

Since then, John has not been in too much pain. He has minimized the pain killers he is taking and is mostly sticking with ibuprofen during the day. Honestly, things couldn't have gone better. And with him hanging out in the living room within kid reach, he is enjoying his time down just hanging out with all of our children.

All of the kids have been good about helping me and doing extra chores. John has gotten up to load dishes into the dish washer. I started to vehemently object, but then I realized that I have every intention of doing the same thing the day after I  have this baby, and do not want John to object to me.

John and I have developed a little more compassion for each other, because well, neither of us can get up and move around very easily right now. I get to be the one to be back to normal sooner.

2 comments:

Rachel Keppner said...

What a difficult time! But it sounds like you and your husband are working together beautifully. And it's great your kids are helping! That's awesome.

I will remember you in my prayers. It's getting close, isn't it? Blessings to you and yours!!!

Hugs,
Rachel

Glenene said...

Glad the surgery went well! It was good to see you!