Sunday, July 1, 2012

What Greeted me Saturday Morning

Before I woke up, Saturday morning John took Adam and Johnny and went off with a bunch of neighbors to play soccer. While, I was sitting in bed chatting with my girls and having Josh cling to me, the door opened and Johnny yelled in, "Dad sprained his ankle!" Ruth, Kate, and Johnny dragged John into the house and laid him on the couch with some ice.

I came downstairs to this. He said that his ankle folded right under him and he felt a pop. We looked up some information about sprains on the internet and decided to take him to the doctor. Since John couldn't walk at all, I was really wondering if it was a sprain. I have had bad sprains, and I could still get around.

The doctor looked at his ankle for about 10 seconds and said it was really swollen and bruising already, so she thought he needed an X-ray.

 About 20 minutes later, the doctor and x-ray tech greeted us with this photo. John's fibula is completely broken and a little displaced. They wrapped his ankle, gave him a boot, and told us to buy some crutches. They also  gave us a number for orthopedic doctors and said John is to remain completely down to keep the swelling down or the orthopedic doctors would not be able to do much. They were not sure if the bone can be realigned or if he will have to have surgery. We will call the orthopedic doctors tomorrow morning and probably get in some time after the holiday.

Until then, John will remain down with his foot up. Fortunately, he can work from home, so he will not need to miss any work at all.

As I am entering my 8th month of pregnancy, I am both extremely emotional ( I am reminding myself of my mom , blah) and very nervous. I feel like I have barely been getting the essentials done and I am so tired. John has been such a huge help to me this pregnancy. Now, I have to do it alone. I am scared about these next two months. A family this size is not a one person job. A family of this size and being 8 months pregnant is much harder. So, I am emotional and scared of having the baby with John not available and left with an enormous amount of work.

I feel bad too. I am trying so hard to be brave and nice and strong for John but these darn pregnancy hormones tear up my eyes way too easily. The problem is, they don't necesarrily express how I really feel, and I am sure they worry John. I have basically been avoiding him so that he doesn't have to feel bad for me as well as being in a lot of pain. Though, avoidance probably isn't working well anyway.

That is where we are at. I have no idea what it will be like having a baby with a broken husband. I hope everything-- surgery or realignment or whatever-- will be done in time for the baby to be born. Does life ever slow down? If not, I want a vacation.

7 comments:

rozanny said...

Do you want a live in helper?! I can move in for a week or two if two adults would be more help.

Alida B. said...

Perfect timing?! Yikes! I hope he heals super fast

Amy said...

Yeeesh! I am so so sorry! I second the vote for vacation.

Monika Pardon said...

Maybe we can send mom out in August for 2 weeks.

Daughter of Eve said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Daughter of Eve said...

Deedee...just cry it out ...it will be easier for you...and just let John know that the tears are not about what he thinks...you cannot help the hormone changes...have the kids pick up some slack...but mostly just slow down and reorganize...you will never be able to get all things done, but pray for help from the Lord and he will step in....you can do this your my daughter and you are strong like me. You don't remember when Dad had Galleine Barre Syndrome...he could not walk had to be in bed....the Lord gave me the strength to take care of him and you and Lila and I was able to be pregnant with Seth...you have many more children than I did during my time of taking care of everyone and everything, but you can do this...just don't expect to get everything done the way you would like it done...let the kids wait on John and move all action to the same room he is in...make it fun...love you MOM xoxoxoxox PS I will try and come out or send Amber out in August.

Rachel Keppner said...

{{{{HUGS!}}}} I'm so sorry!

PLEASE utilize your oldest girls. They really can take over so much of what you need done. Yes, our husbands are the very best to rely on, but our oldest girls can help a TON!

If I were you, I would counsel privately with my daughters, explaining the situation frankly. And then I would discuss with them what they can do to help.

I know it seems bleak now, but this could be a new chapter that trains your daughters in how to be good mothers.

I know I rely on my big girls (ages 18, 13, and 10)a LOT, and I feel wonderful about that, because they are going to be much better homemakers, wives, and mothers than I was when I began.

Prayers and hugs to you!!!

~Mama Rachel