Saturday, June 2, 2012

My Opinion on Moral Erosion

As I have been looking at and researching different moral issues that are abounding in our nation and world today, I have come to a rather sad and scary conclusion.

In 2003 we lived in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Gay marriage became legal in Ontario then. At the time, I honestly didn't care at all. They could live their lives. I could live mine. I really did not care if two gay people wanted to get married or not. I didn't like the intimacy in the streets after gay marriage was legalized because my small children were asking about it. But I did not think it would affect me or my family in any adverse way. John felt otherwise, and he was correct.

At that time, one of the main arguments against gay marriage was that it would pave the way for the legalization of plural marriage. I felt the same about plural marriage as I did about gay marriage-- you do what you want, and I will do what I want. I did not understand what changing a law could mean.

Nine years later, I have learned a lot. I have seen how changing the laws about morality changes what people are allowed to do and say, and it changes what people think, what they are willing to accept, and how they behave. What people are willing to accept has not turned to polygamy. Most people are still appalled by polygamy, and judges have upheld polygamy laws, even in very liberal countries like Canada.

 Nine years ago, I would have never thought that a photographer, a doctor, a bed and breakfast owner, a banquet hall owner could be sued for discrimination simply by turning down someone interested in their services.

Nine years ago, I would have never guessed that a pastor of a church could be sent to jail for handing out religiously based teachings on homosexuality.

Nine years ago, I would have never guessed that the same adults who think that 10 and 12 year old kids are not capable of marrying, holding down a job, playing at a park without supervision, eating in a restaurant alone, driving, using a credit card, walking a mile to school are the same adults that believe 10 and 12 year old kids need to have full access information about sexual intercourse, private body parts, homosexuality, gender identity and variations, masturbation, etc. A 12 year old is encouraged to have sexual relationships, question his or her sexual orientation, have full access to abortions, but a 12 year old is not expected to be capable of holding down a job or even crossing a busy street alone.

This is where changes in laws have taken us. And it is scary!

One last thought:
 I cannot blame this all on gay marriage. The sexual revolution and the rejection of  the Judeo- Christian moral code is where this all began. Gay marriage is another step toward the social rejection of God's laws. Before gay marriage came co-habitation and no fault divorce. Both of these have been very bad for children, families, and society in general. Marriage has been eroding for decades, and it is sad where it has taken our society.


2 comments:

LeAnn said...

Wow, this was a powerful post. It was a great read and I agree with you on all the issues. I worry everyday about what my many grandchildren are being exposed too. Many years ago I was a home health nurse in a hospice in Nevada. It was at the point of Aids coming into light. I had to be willing to take care of aids patients. Of course, I would do so. However, in today's world these issues are so much worse. I really don't like the fact that gay couples can adopt children. These are all big signs of the times. I admire you for the work you are doing in this area.
Hugs to you!

Daughter of Eve said...

I agree Deedee and I also agree with LeAnn. That is why we have such a hugh responsibility to raise our children as the Lord would. That is why we are ask to share the Gospel with others and to live the example. That is why we have to be very certain of who we want in a political office, a person or people who believe strongly and understand truth from error and right from wrong and good from evil and are willing to stand up for what is right and not lead down to the path of human destruction. sorry sorry for the ramble...thanks for the thoughts...oh yeah just want to say that the Lord will always win and he is at the helm and his light overshadows the darkness.