Monday, March 5, 2012

My Answer to a Big Question


I was asked the question: What if after you have this baby, and you get pregnant again, you have another girl? This of course is in response to my post about how I know there is one more boy that is supposed to come to our family.

Here is my answer to this difficult question:

First, John and I have been told, through personal revelation that there is one more boy that is supposed to join our family at some point. Both John and I believe this to be true and from God. I first received this answer after I quit praying and asking to be done having children. I think that this answer really was an answer to my question, "Can I be done?" I think the answer that there is one more boy, is letting me know that when there is one more boy, our family will be complete.

So what if I get pregnant again after this baby and it is another girl? Then I know that my family is not yet complete, and I am not done having children.

Second, I do not think another pregnancy resulting in a girl means that I received incorrect revelation. It is true that it can be hard to separate revelation from emotions. But, I have found through experience that the more I act on the impressions I receive, the more sure I am about an impression the next time. I know that if I go through my life doubting personal revelation, then I will no longer have the privilege of receiving it. By not doubting, but by exercising faith, I have become more sure about what is from God and what is not from God. I love President Monson's story on this topic about who he should call on to speak during a Temple dedication. You can read the talk here.

Heavenly Father expects us to have faith in Him, in His Son, in the revelations given to us in scriptures, in the revelations given to us through the current day prophets and apostles, in the revelation given to us through our Bishops and local priesthood leaders, and faith in the revelations He gives to us about our personal lives and families.

Elder Russel M. Nelson said, "For each of you to receive revelation unique to your own needs and responsibilities, certain guidelines prevail. The Lord asks you to develop “faith, hope, charity and love, with an eye single to the glory of God.” Then with your firm “faith, virtue, knowledge, temperance, patience, brotherly kindness, godliness, charity, humility, [and] diligence,” you may ask, and you will receive; you may knock, and it will be opened unto you."

In one of my favorite talks, Elder Richard G. Scott, in Octpber 2009 said, "Father in Heaven knew that you would face challenges and be required to make some decisions that would be beyond your own ability to decide correctly. In His plan of happiness, He included a provision for you to receive help with such challenges and decisions during your mortal life. That assistance will come to you through the Holy Ghost as spiritual guidance. It is a power, beyond your own capability, that a loving Heavenly Father wants you to use consistently for your peace and happiness." and in the same talk Elder Scott said, "What may appear initially to be a daunting task will be much easier to manage over time as you consistently strive to recognize and follow feelings prompted by the Spirit. Your confidence in the direction you receive from the Holy Ghost will also become stronger. I witness that as you gain experience and success in being guided by the Spirit, your confidence in the impressions you feel can become more certain than your dependence on what you see or hear."

I know that a loving Heavenly Father is there and willing to tell each us about our own families. We are instructed that how many children and how far apart a couple has their children is between the couple and God. I am very grateful that we are not left to ourselves with these difficult decisions, but that we are offered revelation and assistance from a loving Heavenly Father.




3 comments:

Tristan said...

Amen!

rozanny said...

I'm glad that we're not left alone on this one too... I think that children are a gift and a blessing, but they can also be a trial... especially while they're young. I think that's one reason that a lot of people don't have more than they do. I think it's sad though. I look at life and see how empty my life would be if we had only been blessed with one... sure, it's harder now but it will be worth it in the eternities. (That being said, I don't know how many we'll have... I want to be done before my body can't handle it but I don't know how many that is. )

PS... I told Ada that you were having a baby girl and she said, "Yay! I hope she won't bite me."

jenifer said...

you're crazy!!
and so am i.
i have another boy too...
2 boys- FIVE girls later, i still know i have another boy.
(sister nelson had NINE girls and finally got the boy she knew she had at number 10!)
sometimes i smile.
if god had told me when i asked, "Am i done?" that in addition to the four young children i already had, i had four more girls and then a boy-- i would have, um, DIED.
it is making me laugh as he confirms over and over, "Just one more boy!" and then sends me sweet little girls.
how i LOVE my girls.
i can do this. i didn't know i could, but i can.
one baby at a time.
and, i don't even think i'm going to ask how many girls i'll have before i meet my little guy!!
crazy we are.
really.
{please don't tell anyone, ok?!}