Tuesday, March 13, 2012

HomeSchool and FHE


For Home school, I have had Johnny and Kate working on a research project of their choice for English. It was mainly trying to get them to do their own research while getting some writing practice in. They had just over two weeks to complete the project. It had to have a written report, a tri-fold board display, and an oral presentation. Kate chose to do her project on donuts, and Johnny chose nuclear missiles.

For Family Home evening last night, Johnny and Kate gave their oral presentations. It was so fun, and so very informative.

Johnny did a great job of teaching us about nuclear fission and nuclear fusion and what it all meant, and Einstein's E=mc^2. He also talked about the history, the cost, and the illnesses associated with radiation. I must confess, I was rather interested and impressed. I think we all learned a lot form Johnny's presentation.

Kate taught us the history of donuts: how the name came around and how the basic shape was formed etc. Kate ended of course with yummy donuts for everyone. (I think that may have been why she picked donuts in the first place.) Kate as always did a good job presenting.

This went so well, I think we will do more project presentations for Family Home Evening. Maybe the next assignment will be something on church history.

No comments: