Saturday, March 31, 2012

The General Conference Holiday

For Years, we have been treating the semiannual General Conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, like most people treat the super bowl. On the Monday before conference, we write a list of desired snacks and take a vote. In a family of 10, this actually does take about an hour.

On Friday, I go to the stores, and buy what snacks and treats I can buy. Then as conference begins, the kids set blankets up in front of the computer, get some snacks, a pen and some paper, and settle into listening to the Prophet and Apostles. It's a tradition that we slowly grew into over the years.

Sometimes, I have felt a little guilty with providing my kids with a ton of junk for General Conference. But my guilt is now eased. On Sunday, Adam had an argument with some kids in his primary class, and one boy in particular. They started talking about the upcoming general conference. Adam said that he could not wait, and how excited he was for general conference. Most of the kids, were surprised. 8 hours of talks isn't exactly kids friendly. One kid, argued that Adam was nuts!!! He said that he hated general conference because he didn't get to play his normal amount of computer games on Saturday. Adam stood firm. General conference, "is AWESOME!"

I would have to say that making General Conference a semiannual holiday is AWESOME!! Hurray for junk food and treats and a way of helping kids enjoy listening to the Prophet and the Apostles and feeling the spirit that enters our home as we munch on chips, drink orange juice, and slurp milkshakes!

3 comments:

Tristan said...

Yay for Adam! My kids are the same way - it's a favorite weekend. We only play video/computer games on Saturdays and on General Conference weekends we don't play. The kids don't mind - even the younger boys haven't asked to play today, they've been too busy enjoying conference.

And junk food - yep, love it for conference. This year we have m&ms, reese cups, and suckers. Meals include things like cinnamon rolls, pancakes, and chips. Lunch and dinner have to be quick, easy, and relatively mess free so we can eat them during the sessions. Whatever works!

LeAnn said...

Yes, right on Adam! I love this one. I do know that one must be creative to make conference exciting to watch for children. We spent the Conference weekend with our daughter's family. She had a number of conference activities and they worked well. We had treats of course too.
This was a cute blog and I am smiling.....

Jill said...

this is so true. Our family had a tradition of doing semi-annual pizza in between the saturday sessions. It started as a practical thing because we lived so far from the church building so it didn't make sense to go home in between. But it was the only time of year our mom bought pizza and we LOVED IT! I looked forward to it every 6 months and I realized a few years ago that even though the excitement was originally because of pizza, it helped me get excited in general and all of us love general conference. I told about this in a family class at BYU and the professor loved it and said it was a perfect example of using family traditions to teach the gospel in an indirect way. So good for you guys - your kids will always love general conference, so who cares how much junk you eat? :)