Sometimes I am a terrible mother because I lose my temper too easily. Sometimes I am a mediocre mother because I do not let my kids experience the consequences and they do not have an opportunity to learn. Today I was a good mother because I didn't get angry and I didn't give in or give up. This morning Rachel and Adam dumped and spread out thousands of legos all over the living room floor. I didn't angry and , I didn't let them get away with it. It took them 2 hours, but they picked up every single lego. I don't think they will do that again for a long time because it was hard for them to clean up their mess.
Another example is when I found out that Kate was going to her room after school, saying she was doing her reading, writing it down and having me sign it for a grade, but she was not. I had her tell her teacher the truth. This was very hard for Kate. Kate then on her own initiative reread all of the time she had lied about. I am glad that I didn't just let this pass. Kate learned a valuable lesson about integrity and honesty. Now Kate reads in the living room.
1 comment:
Way to go! If our kids only realized how much we want them to have fun and enjoy life. We don't enjoy giving them consequences for their actions but it is so necessary. Sometimes we are certainly better at it than others! Way to go on one of those good times. I came across your blog as a link from someone else you had commented on saying you had seven kids. Always love checking out other large families.
Post a Comment