Well, I finally did it. I bought a kid leash for Rachel. We went to the Temple on Friday and after the second time Rachel ran as fast as she could out into parking lots with moving cars I decided that it was better to have a healthy living dog girl than a maimed or dead daughter. In fact, I think Rachel truly would have been hit if it was not for Ruth's watchful eye. We have often called Ruth our Shepard because she has always watched over the younger children.
Now about the leash. I never really needed them with Ruth, Kate, and Johnny. Kate ran away like Rachel does, but with only three kids, it wasn't so hard to keep a watch over her. Adam never needed anything like that because he has always stayed very close to me, both at home and in public. But Rachel I have often called "Runaway Sal" because she has run away as soon as she could walk. Now that I have the baby plus four other children and Rachel it has just been too much. My hands are full. So I broke down and bought the kid leash. It is actually a cute little monkey and the tale is the leash. Rachel seems to like it okay. All the other kids like to walk Rachel. But we have had the problem of them just dragging Rachel and pulling her over. Anyway, it is done. I swore I would never use one. But actually, I really quite appreciate it. Rachel has been much safer since I bought this two days ago. Plus it works fine to leave it on her while she is in her car seat. That is really good since parking lots seem to be our biggest problem.

4 comments:
Diane,
I think your Rachel is a clone of Robert, except the gender! That is the exact leash I finally bought for Robert (we still have it, but have not needed it really for Matthew). Anyway, I had this really cool restraint for keeping kids in the grocery cart seat (above and beyond the grocery cart seat belts), but I realized he had outgrown that when he managed to turn himself upside down over the back of that grocery cart seat...when I turned around and he was hanging into the cart, flailing about, I decided it was time for a leash. The first time we used it the kids were very anxious to take turns "walking" Robert. But when he hopped down onto all fours and started barking in the store, I found that I wanted to be the one holding the leash. But you know, we have survived to this point and Robert is in kindergarten and doing well, so I have high hopes for Rachel too!
By the way, those snap-click-closures are the best on this style of leash...we had very very bad luck with a velcro one...I wish I had just returned it and gotten our money back, but we didn't.
fun for Rae ... she is just one happy adventerous child! after all you have Adam barking like a dog as part of his play and just a cute as could be...so this might just complete the picture.....this is so cute and so much better than a sweet child almost hit be a car
Okay I about fell off my chair laughing when I read the line "I would rather have a healthy living dog girl...." That just made me laugh. I have often thought about getting one of those for Harrison. He is a runner. I have to keep our doors locked because he bolts out of them as soon as he can. crazy kiddo.
Post a Comment