May has been a horrendous month. Probably the worst month in my life. It was so bad, that every couple of days, my mother in law called to ask what disaster happened next. This last week of May was absolutely the worst. Some of the stuff I cannot write about, but one tragedy, I can and will. Wednesday, May 23rd, I got our van repaired specifically so I could take Rachel to a doctor for an ear infection. I took her. A physicians assistant spent less than 5 minutes in the room with her, said she had an ear infection and gave her an antibiotic. The PA would not talk to us. The visit was mildly frustrating. A week later, I get a call from Social Services. A social worker was telling me that a report was filed on behalf of Rachel saying that she was malnourished. I knew right away who the report came from and said so. Of course, the social worker denied the fact. But after she met the family, she could not honestly deny it. Anyway, we were required to allow this social worker into our home and had to give her all sorts of information about our children, including all of their private information such as birth dates, and social security numbers, without a warrant per law. She stayed for an hour and a half. Took pictures that clearly denied all accusations by this PA and had to also file a report because it took the state nearly 5 months to sign us up for medicaid, thereby noting in full that any accused medical neglect was not from my lack of doing things. I am very organized, and we happened to clean the whole house and yard earlier in the day, and I had a healthy dinner ready and in the crock pot, so her catching us off guard and only giving us a 20 minute notice had no ill effects. I had all the information she needed on hand, even though I did not know what information she would need. She reported that we are safe, the kids are fed, there is no drug use, and the kids don't fear the parents etc. Still, we are all traumatized and the report stays open for up to 45 days. Oh and Monday we got two beautiful little kittens to replace the ones the dog killed in September and hopefully help with the mice that live around here and Thursday we found a snake in our garage. That was scary too.
- Like every week John continues to work on his businesses as well as apply for jobs 6 days a week, 10 or more hours a day. We all love him. All of the kids would claim him as the best Dad. They adore him and respect and want to be like him even though he has had trouble with employment.
- I am traumatized. My kids are traumatized. We will never be the same and we will never feel safe going to a doctor again.
- I am not telling Ruth about all of the things that have occurred this month. I want her to focus on her mission and not shed tears and worry about us. I did ask her to pray for our safety, though.
- Kate is an angel. Even before the social worker came, Kate stepped it up and did more than she was asked to do this week. The cleaning the house and the yard was the assignment I had given to the kids before taking Joseph to the dentist. Kate had them all go the extra mile.
- Johnny continues to work on his game programming and helping John start his business. Johnny is officially a high school graduate. We have not celebrated yet, but we will. His plan for next year is to stay home and continue with the business and then to go on a mission a year later. Johnny graduated early because when he tested into Legacy Prep in Utah, her tested two grades ahead. He is a smart, and good, good boy. I think business experience and software development will be good for him, and hopefully help him to earn some mission money.
- Adam likes to just jingle around on the piano to figure out various melodies of music and songs, but more recently, and at the request of John, he has been putting in the time to truly learn pieces of music. I am glad that he is putting in the effort. I told him at least a half hour a day and he is doing that.
- Poor, poor Rachel. I do not want her to feel guilty about being small or not talking to the doctor and thereby being the source of a report to social services.
- Anya loves the new little kittens and has enjoyed playing with them and having them sleep on her.
- Joseph had a tooth filled this week and did a great job holding still and being patient. He has two more fillings to go and a much stronger desire to brush his teeth day and night. Though, he has been a doing a pretty good job on his teeth already.
- We've had a lot of rain and Joshua loves playing out in the rain. But he goes through a lot of clothes. Finally, I convinced him to just wear his swimsuit. He liked that because then he could come in and put on the same clothes.
- It was really hot on Friday, so we went to the beach. Arwen loved it!!! She said several times that it was the best day of her life.
- Susan calls dark clouds and thunder "dragons". When the thunder got really loud this week, Susan ran to me and said, "It's coming! It's coming! The dragon is coming!"
- Sam loves these little kittens. He also talked to my mom on the phone and LOVED it. He had a lot to say back to her too, though it was mostly baby talk. Sam has about 6 words he says regularly now. Mom, Dad, yay, Joshua, Anya, and cat. He doesn't say no yet, but he shakes his head no and says, "uh uh."
Pictures
2 comments:
Oh my dear friend, this a horrific medical story. That is awful to get reported on and have to go through all of that. Number one that PA should be investigated that is so not right. The fact he didn’t even talk much to you is not good. I am really disgueted with today’s medical care. I do love my doctor and he spends a lot of time talking with us but they don’t ever give good physicals anymore and they only rely on blood work. I wish you could report on this one.
I don’t like the legal stuff either. There are things to be investigated sometimes but I think this one was outlandish. Ok, you can tell I think you were deeply traumtized.
I pray that things will start to get better with John getting a job. I can’t imagine how discouraging that is. I do think you are great parents and you have fantastic kids. Those facts are the most important of all.
Sending loving thoughts, prayers, love and hugs your way!
The photos of the kittens are adorable! I’ll pray for this week to be better.
Oh Diane!!! How I know your pain! When the policeman came to my door, to check on my baby Matthew following a report from a doctor's office, I asked him what my rights were before I let him in. He did not have a warrant either. But, he told me he had to make sure my baby was safe. So, I let him in, and the social worker who followed shortly thereafter. At least you got a warning call! After the policeman saw my baby was fine, my toddler was fine, I was fine and my home was safe he left. However, because the case had been opened, the social worker did have to fill out all the papers and interview each child one on one, etc. It was mortifyingly embarrassing. BUT I AM SO GLAD THEY CAME! It was such a blessing to know that there are people out there to make sure children are safe and well-cared for. I even had to do a complete intake at a behavioral health clinic for the case to be closed. Yup. Pretty embarrassing. But in the end, I came through with flying colors! I had passed the ultimate test: a surprise checkup from a cop and ChildProtectionServices, during one of the craziest times of my life (Jacob just being diagnosed with autism, for example), getting used to having 6 children in a two-bedroom home, struggling to stay strong while Jeff worked all kinds of hours (15 hour days, all the time) on his PhD, trying to keep my VERY active toddler Robert alive and well, etc etc etc)! There are the real-crazies who imprison their children and severely neglect them. Neglect is in the same category as abuse. So yes, it was embarrassing, but it was fine. It was after I was able to tell the cop and social worker that I have a huge support system in my ward family, that the cop saw he just was not needed in my home at all and he politely excused himself. I don't know what I would do without the Church! People without such support systems are especially vulnerable. Anyway, yes it was a miserable day. But doctors, the police and social workers have to do their jobs. If it was me, I would never forgive myself if I failed to follow up on something that led to further neglect or abuse or especially death (in extreme cases, like the lady who drowned her kids)!!! Anyway, don't feel too cast down. Just try to avoid that provider, if you can. If you can't, you should still take your kids there because kids need medical services. They just do. And even though it may seem like you were giving out all this private info (DOBirth, SSN, etc), it really is to confirm that you are who you say you are. If you think about it, you give all that info out every time you apply for Medicaid or SNAP. I hope you can be at peace regarding this whole incident. I am very grateful for those maintaining the health and safety of children, in spite of the embarrassment. I love you guys so much! Hugs and loves always, Mary
Post a Comment