This week for "An Hour in Day", we are all writing ten things that take place in that hour.
My hour starts at about 6:30 last night.
- At 6:30 I go and get Kate to help me wash the days dishes. Our dish washer broke down last week, and we are waiting for the new dish washer to arrive: hopefully today. But until then, every family member age 4 and up are helping with the dishes. Kate will get before dinner dishes and Johnny and Adam will get after dinner dishes.
- Does this make me think we are getting in lovely family work time togetherness, so we skip out on the new dish washer for family bonding--- NO WAY!!!!! I think one week is enough bonding.
- At 7:00, because it takes that long to wash, dry, and put away the dishes. I tell Johnny to wake up my dear husband from his very late nap to start a fire in our fire bowl for a hotdog and s'mores roast family home evening.
- At 7:05 I start making lots of commands to Ruth and Kate. "Bring the ketchup and ,mustard outside to the table.", "get me the small pan to put the chili in", "Put the paper plates outside", "here are the marshmallows. DON'T open them yet." And on it goes.
- At 7:10, I heat a small pan of No- Bean chili for the hotdogs, and bring out the chili and some shredded cheese. The kids are bringing out pillows and blankets???????
- At 7:15, my dear husband says it is too windy to start a fire. I command all of the little kids to go into the house and get scrap paper.
- At 7:20 scrap paper is flying around the yard, so we pick it all up and put it under a grilling crate. They set the wood up over the crate.
- At 7:25 when the paper is all burned out and none of the wood is lit, I give up on the boyscouts, and go and get some real-woman power to get the fire started--lighter fluid.
- We get rid of the grilling crate and set the wood up in the bowl with the paper tucked under the wood. I squeeze lighter fluid all over, and Johnny lights the paper.
- By 7:30 we have a tall fire in a fire bowl and every one is scrambling to get their hot dogs on their sticks. The little kids, are afraid of the fire, but do not want any help.

2 comments:
Yes, one week of washing dishes together would be plenty of togetherness for me too! I hope your new dishwasher arrives soon! What a fun FHE. I'm sure the kiddos will remember it fondly even if it did take quite a bit of effort to get the fire going! Thanks forr linking up!
the cookout sounds like fun to me...wish we were there!
Post a Comment