Johnny likes soccer a lot, but he has my long legs and coordination issues. So he will never be the best on his team. This last season, however, Johnny has blossomed. Last fall, he was shy about going after the ball. This spring Johnny has become an asset to his team and it is all because of a really good coach. I might add, that his coach is 100% volunteer-- just some girl's father.
He has put Johnny is in positions where he has to go after the ball or his team might loose. Giving Johnny that trust boosts his confidence. And guess what? Johnny is doing really well. His improvement is astonishing!
This coach has taught Johnny things that John and I don't think to teach to our children. One time, Johnny was telling his coach something and his coach stopped him and kindly said, "Look me in the eyes when you are talking to me." (Johnny tends to look at his feet.) What a great thing to teach my kid! He has reminded me to look in my kids' eyes when I speak to them.
I am very thankful for this amazing soccer coach that has has helped my son shine in ways he would never have!
Oh, and by the way, Johnny's team is the star team! I shouldn't be surprised with such a great coach.
1 comment:
What a beautiful thing is a great mentor! Thank goodness for other parents who take our children under their wings. Thanks for sharing. :-)
Post a Comment