Saturday, April 14, 2012

What is Most Necessary


I woke up Easter morning tired and grumpy. I spent all day Easter feeling tired and grumpy. I still did all of the Easter stuff-- lessons on the Resurrection, big dinner, visiting with family etc. I went to bed late still feeling tired and grumpy.

I woke up Monday morning tired and grumpy. The kids woke up grumpy and quarrelsome. We had a grumpy day, but I did everything-- school, the ridiculous amount of running around I have to do on Mondays, I cooked a good dinner, and I even gave a really good family home evening lesson. I went to bed quite late still feeling grumpy.

I woke Tuesday morning, the day we did the candy egg hunt with filled Easter baskets for the kids, feeling even more grumpy. The candy mess alone made me a mad woman. John, who decided to work from home on Tuesday, had General Conference playing most of the day. (I knew it was just for me). Near the end of the day, John, my amazingly patient husband, asked me what the heck my problem was. I knew. Oh boy, did I know. I hadn't gotten in a serious scripture study in, well in...days...at least.

When I had my first baby, 14 lovely years ago, I decided that I needed three things to be a good mom.
  1. Daily scripture study.
  2. Daily Shower
  3. Some kind of frequent exercise
Doing all of those regularly over the last 14 years has kept me sane. Unless I don't do them. Then I am not sane and nice and good and certainly not kind. And definitely NOT A GOOD MOM!

Tuesday night before bed, I read and studied the scriptures. I woke up Wednesday tired still, yes, but happy. And really glad not to have every little thing bother me. Few! I am glad that I was granted a bit of wisdom as a 22 year old, new mother.

1 comment:

rozanny said...

I had this same realization when Ada had just started walking. I was praying on how to be a better mom and I got the answer that I needed to study the scriptures. I prayed for help to do better at that and not even a minute later Ada walks in holding my Book of Mormon and hands it to me... Just a neat moment.