I have also been addressing the subject of curriculum for my kindergartener and first grader. I have always home schooled pre-school. I have also been the main person to teach my children how to read. But I know that I need to broaden what I do. Here is a sample of what I have always done.
| My homemade flashcards. These are letter combinations that usually make a certain sound when found together in a word. I have a lot of these |
| These are some of Adam's high frequency words. I found a nice list of first grade high frequency words here. I will be doing one list a week. |
| These are a sample of some of my pre-preschool flash cards. Right now Joseph is using these. |
So now I need to add upon what I do. I bought a workbook (it hasn't arrived in the mail yet). I found it on Amazon.
Looking at the reviews of this particular workbook, I think I will need to have the kindergarten, 2 first grade and the second grade workbooks for kindergarten and first grade. I only bought the first grade book because I wanted to look it through and I did not want to be stuck with a whole curriculum that I do not like. (This is also due to my inability to spend money on anything besides food.) I will still use my homemade flash cards, and the math worksheet site. I will have Adam and Rachel each spend a half hour reading from the Book of Mormon Stories
to me, and another half hour reading to me from the easy reader books we already have and what we can get from the library.
At this point I have no idea what we will do for science or history. I want to cover the classical composers and some of the Impressionists artist. Does anyone know of a curriculum for classical composers or is this something you just make up on your own? Also I quite welcome other suggestions for reading, math, science, and history curriculums.
I have a tentative schedule written out. I am not sure how this will work. (I post that in hopes of better suggestions later.) The online school begins Aug 29th, the public schools begin Aug 22, so I think we will take the week the kids friends start school as a before homeschool vacation week where we will not do any school stuff at all, and then we will begin full swing. Until Aug 22, we will continue our summer schedule of 2 days a week field trips, and 3 days a week with 2 hours spent on education-- that is math and typing for the older kids and reading and math for the younger kids.
I am feeling both excited and apprehensive. This will be a big change for our family.
4 comments:
Dee thanks for posting your ideas as I am going to use some of them for the 2 preschoolers we have, when did you start the kids on shapes? We have been doing colors and numbers.
Your ideas are great and well thought out...please keep posting your results with the children..I want to know how it works out...
We reviewed a classical composers curriculum from Bright Ideas Press called A Young Scholar's Guide to Composers. That post is here:
http://ourbusyhomeschool.blogspot.com/2009/10/bright-ideas-press-review.html
It works pretty well. However, for FREE (always a great price) you can use the Classics for Kids website which has games, a-z guides to composers, as well as by country or musical period, and even better - PODCASTS of their radio programs focusing on different composers. http://classicsforkids.com/
For science and history we love reading living books set in the time period. Is there a time period you're wanting to cover with them? We also love the Download N Go studies (there's a link in my blog's sidebar) and those are a mix of science and history topics. We spread one out to last a month with my K and 1st graders. Email me if you have questions or want more ideas...
Looks exciting! I'm just thinking about starting Ada reading and piano lessons. I feel comfortable teaching her the piano, but out of water with the reading...
Good luck! I'm interested to see how it goes.
Post a Comment