Monday, August 29, 2011

First Day of Homeschool

FIRST DAY OF HOMESCHOOL

  1. Ruth really misses her friends and being around other kids a lot! She worked really hard all day. 
  2. Kate misses her friends too. She had a hard time figuring out how to work the online school and feels rather discouraged.
  3. Johnny seemed to like it. I did not have enough work ready for him. He is a much faster reader and writer than I anticipated. I will triple his work load for tomorrow. We are not going to put him on the online school. I think I will do a better job at keeping up with his speed learning. He is working from the same books as Kate. He works independently and FAST. I know this is the right thing for Johnny's education.
  4. Adam didn't seem to care. He did all of his work without argument or fuss. But he was glad when he completed his days tasks. He doesn't seem to miss school at all.
  5. Rachel enjoyed or should I say relished in the one on one time and strict schedule. I think she will do well. I thought she would be really hard to teach. But now I am thinking she will be one of the easiest.
  6. I found it tiring, but not hard. My kids were pretty easy going today, albeit Ruth and Kate were a bit melancholy. I missed my free, quiet time in the afternoon.
  7. The 3 younger kids did well. Anya and Joseph enjoyed all of the group lessons. I think Anya is feeling afternoon rest time/ TV time deprived.
This will definitely be a listen to the Spirit journey. We are doing this because ALL of us felt like this was what the Lord wanted for our family after I had been prompted over several months. I am glad to have such a firm "This is what you should do, " from the Lord. I am sure Ruth and Kate would be re-registered in school tomorrow otherwise. I feel for them. Ruth has always liked and done exceedingly well in school.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's so great! I am so glad that is working out for you! I love Ruth's drawings, such talent!

Bethany said...

Good luck to you all!

rozanny said...

Good job Diane! I wish I were that brave!

Mom of 12 said...

I love that pic at the top of your blog! Big families are so fun.
Sandy

Tristan said...

Yay for the first day! I'll be honest, we always have adjustments to do to the schedule in the first few weeks, so just expect it and know it's normal.

Praying everyone settles into the joy of learning together at home!

Handsfullmom said...

Sounds like you're off to a great start! Good luck to you.

Grumpy Grateful Mom said...

I love that your are doing what you feel you should do. I struggle with that from time to time. I like to stick my MY plan. It sounds like you're off to a great start this year! Good luck!

Amber said...

Good job!!-- we start tomorrow and I am extremely nervous more so than usual-- I think I know how much work it's going to be and that I'm going to have to get rid of my packrat tendencies completely. Nothing like homeschooling to refine you as the mother. Keep it up, I hope I can do as well as you!!

Alida B. said...

I think it's eally good that you are recognnzing each and everyones strengths and weaknesses as you make this transition and that you are addressing them all individually. It sounds like you had a decent first day. Just stick to it. You are a wonderful mom.