As all of you with school kids know, President Obama is giving a speech to all of the school kids in the nation Tuesday. Without saying how I feel about it, I will just include this letter that we got from our kids' school today, and say that I really do like the school my kids are in now.
Dear Fox Hollow families,
On Tuesday, September 8, President Obama will broadcast a speech to the students of our country. We will not be showing the broadcast at school. I would encourage families to take the opportunity to listen to the message about the importance of staying in school and to work hard to reach education goals. If you choose, you could view the speech first and decide what is right for your family. This will allow you to have an important discussion about the topic in a family setting. The mission statement of Alpine School District is "Educating all students to ensure the future of our democracy." I hope this will be an opportunity for you to learn together.
Thank you,
Mrs. Akagi
1 comment:
That is neat! I've talked to several parents already that were debating on whether or not to let their kids go to school that day. At least this way the families have a choice in what they do and what they can say about the topic in their own setting. It is kind of ironic that he wants to urge kids to stay in school and learn... but his speech is both taking class time and is making some parents keep their kids away from school all together for a day. That could happen with any President but it doesn't make it any less ironic.
Post a Comment