Sunday, April 12, 2009

After One Week

John and I decided to have dinner right when the kids get home from school. We had three reasons for trying this out.
  1. That is when the kids are the hungriest.
  2. We are spending way too much money on snacks that are just not healthy because they want to eat a ton after school.
  3. They almost never eat their dinner because they over-snack.


We have done this for one week and here are the results.
  1. The kids are eating their dinner with a lot fewer complaints.
  2. I have way more time in the evening to do whatever I want.
  3. We aren't going through snacks as fast, and snack time is around 7:30 and much more controlled.
  4. I do not get to nap from 2-4, but I like the time in the evening better anyway, at least that is what I think after one week.
  5. Because we have a big dinner at 4:30 and an all together at the table snack at 7:30 I have to do dishes twice.
So far, I think it is a better schedule. I have been worried about my kids consuming too much junk food, and I am too soft when it comes to sugar snacks. This is helping us eat healthier, because the kids are not as hungry later. The funny thing is, I told my friend, Naomi about this and she apparently had started the same thing with her family at the same time and has all of the same things to say about it. She also has six kids basically the same ages as all my kids.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

that is such a smart idea! i love it! does it make the go to sleep earlier, too? what a great way to have them to fill up on the good stuff first. eventually they may crave that more than the snacks!