Saturday, February 21, 2009

Well Medicated

When we go to the Temple here, we pack up all of our kids, drive 170 miles, and then we take turns babysitting our kids and going into the Temple. Then we drive the 170m miles home. I usually take the kids to the park for a picnic or to McDonalds playplace. We planned on going to the temple today for a few weeks. So with Adam who has been sick with a cough and a fever since Tuesday, and because we have only had one weekend since Christmas without having at least one child sick, we decided to pack up the medicine and go ahead and go anyway. We just planned on leaving out the play place part.

Well, while we were rushing to get the kids breakfast, and all of the stuff done that we needed to have ready for the trip, John sat down by Adam to take his temperature. I brought John the children's ibuprofin and the cough medicine and placed them in front of John at the table. Then I went to finish clearing the dish washer, and to shower. Apparently, John did not realize I had brought him the medicine and didn't feel like he had the time to get Adam medicine just then. So he left the table with all of the kids and the medicine to get ready for the temple. After, I had gotten out of the shower, but not gotten dressed, I heard Kate say, "Adam got his own medicine, but I just cleaned up the spill." I dashed out in my towell to find out what Adam had done. I found Adam, naked on the toilet getting ready to get dressed. John ran out in his towell at this point. John had just been preparing to shower. So between John and I we got Adam to tell us that he did indeed get his own medicine and what he did exactly. Apparently, Adam had filled up the medicine measuring cup and drank it down. He also had spilled some on the table. I ran and got dressed and then called poison control. Between Adam's description and the amount of medicine left in the bottle, John figured Adam took about 3 1/2 teaspoons. Adam is still in the 1 tsp weight catergory. Fortunely, he took ibuprofin and not tylenol. The Poison control official said that Adam could take twice as much as he did and still not have to go to the emergency room. She did say that he would feel sleepy and nauseaus. So then there was the question of going to the temple and risk having a kid puke in the car. We went and eveything was fine. But because Adam had taken his full 24hours dose in one, we could not medicate him on the trip. The poor kid mentioned he felt sick all day and went to bed with a fever above 102. I guess I will be taking him to the doctors on Monday or Tuesday. Oh and those caps may be child proof, but they are not Adam proof.

2 comments:

Em said...

James once sucked down a tablet of Ibuprofen, and was fine. Harrison overdosed on Tums though and that sucked. then there was the time that james drank De-Icer...that is REALLY bad.

I have to say though, I am REALLY impressed with the effort you guys make to get to the temple. I don't know how often we would go if we had to drive that far each time and take turns babysitting kids. You guys are so good. Your kids will definitely know the importance of going to the temple because of your great example.

rozanny said...

Wow!