Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Stories From Ruth # 4


 I read Alma 40-42 and the next two days we met people who believe in reincarnation so it was fun trying to correct that. My district consists of three Americans which is unusual since forty percent of those called to my mission are American. Sister Cook, Elder Brush and I are from America. Elder Anderson, the big guy, is from New Zealand, Elder Klobtitch is from Slovenia, and Elder Dineir, who does not know Bonnie and his name sounds like a French pronunciation of dinner, is from Germany. I thought it was also interesting that all the trainers are loud and crazy with brown eyes, and all those being trained in our district have blue or green eyes and are quiet but clever.
Today we had to help the Elders and the senior couple move flats, so it took up most of the day. Sister Westensckow is very sweet and makes the best treats. Her lemon cake is the best I have ever had. We went to a lot of members homes and I think you ( the family) would be pleased about how good so many people are. There are two young couples, the Lucas's and the Neilson's where the mother had children and is staying home and although they get a lot of slack, especially the Nielsons since her husband is in school, they stand up for families and love teaching about it.

I have been fed a lot.


I'm not sure I will have a week on my mission where I don't say a lot has happened. Monday we went to the church in Barry and had a barbeque with the elders there. Then we came back to Cambridge and went to FHE where we watched the rest of general conference. We are teaching a few people, but we are still mostly finding. There was one point where I felt like I should talk to this lady, so I spedwalked to catch up with her, and wasn't catching up. Sister Cook then ran and started talking to her. Turns out she was from Switzerland, and was leaving for home tomorrow
. We talked to her about missionary work, but it wasn't until we mentioned the Book of Mormon that she perked up. We told her what it was and although there was a language barrier the spirit helped her to understand the importance of the Book of Mormon. She asked for a copy and we gave her one. We said goodbye and sent a referral to the elders in Switzerland where she will meet with them there. 

There was another woman from Italy who was studying here to be a nun, but was going home to see her mom who was sick. She wanted to meet with us when she comes back in a week and said she would read the Book of Mormon on the plane. 

At one point, I saw my companion nod at a guy to talk to, and although I wanted to bike on, I couldn't. I felt like I needed to talk to him, so I got off my bike, and because I was lost, asked him directions. We talked and I bore my testimony of the Book of Mormon. He agreed to meet with us. After this, I felt a if I was told that even if he didn't show up, gave us a fake number, or fell away after us teaching him, that no moment of our teaching and testifying is ever wasted. The prophets were called to preach repentance and even prophecy destruction, they cried repentance even if a city was to be destroyed. Even if they knew there was nothing they could do, they still cried repentance. This work of calling people to repent and to come into Christ is never wasted, even if they do not accept it. We had Zone conference this week and the APs gave an amazing lesson. They taught us to always teach and reference the Book of Mormon. That if anyone denied us or turned away it was just part of the sifting. We are not here only to teach everyone and we are not here to find numbers, but to find those who are prepared and who are ready to accept the word of God. They challenged us to read from the Book of Mormon when we find and leave them with a copy and a chapter to read. It was really amazing, and we have been doing so. 

This week in my scripture study what has struck me has been how much of a daily rigorous mental effort always having our thoughts centered on Christ is. I challenge each of you to read the accounts of Christ's crucifixion and 3 Nephi where he visits the Nephites. We promise each week we partake of the sacrament to always remember Him. How often could we set aside our media to do so. To read our scriptures, to pray, or even just spend time with our families. God gave us families. They are a thing of eternity. He wants us to joy in them as he has found joy in his. Teach your children to be righteous, and even if they fall away you will be blessed. A quote by Neal A Maxwell I love is, "Righteous desires need to be relentless, therefore, because said Brigham Young, 'the men and women, who desire the celestial kingdom, will find that they must battle everyday.' Therefore, true Christian soldiers must be more than weekend warriors." How essential is our desires and our determination to become like God. 

2 comments:

clin133 said...

Such a small world. Elder Anderson is from my home ward in New Zealand. He grew up with my younger siblings and I taught all his younge siblings in Primary.

LeAnn said...

I loved reading her missionary thoughts this week. I can tell that she is a marvelous dedicated missionary that is listening to the spirit in the work. The Book of Mormon is the greatest missionary tool ever.
I liked reading about her fun activities. I love that the members are feeding them.
We always enjoyed our district meetings and Zone meetings. We learned so much from those meetings.
I loved reading about her street contacts.
Hugs for Ruth!