Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Stories From Ruth # 3



We went down to Seven Kings for exchanges with the STLs, Sister Lamb and Sister Barnes! They are both so amazing and Faith filled. The spirit is strong when they speak. I went with Sister Lamb and we went bus contacting on the way to the church for an appointment. We taught this guy and he recognized the truth and agreed to go to general conference and take a friend! It was exciting! It was a crazy busy day and I learned a lot from Sister Lamb about not being afraid to testify of the truths of the gospel and of the Book of Mormon! 


 Sister Lamb was an amazing example of always testifying of the truth of the gospel, and even after a person turned us down, she testified of eternal families and then they paused, and talked to us about the gospel. They even made a return appointment. 

The spirit is strong when we testify boldly of the truths of the gospel like eternal families and the truth of the Book of Mormon. On the bus home I felt like I needed to sit on my own with an open seat. On the next stop a lady sat next to me. We talked and she asked me what I did so I told her. Then she asked if there was a church nearby and I gave her the address. She asked for the contact information and then before I asked her anything said she would take her kids and would come. I felt and knew the Lord had prepared her. It was nothing I did or said. 


We went home to Cambridge the next day and have seen miracles since. Both of us have talked to more people, opened up scriptures in every conversation, and have testified more. The miracles have come since. We met a girl from China named Susan. She is so sweet and is a math teacher at one of the like four colleges here. Susan is excited to read the Book of Mormon and wants to pray and take the time to learn for herself if it's true by study and prayer! She was excited to talk to us when we stopped her, because she had been wondering about Christianity and how she could come to know that it was true! 

We texted every investigator contact on the phone inviting them to general conference and to teach them. We have gotten a few investigators from that who are generally interested. One grew up Hindu and didn't believe it, but when the sisters before taught him, he felt a pull towards it, and felt like it was true. He moved home during the break and came back and is genuinely interested to come to know for himself that God and Jesus Christ are real and that this is his gospel. He agreed to be baptized if he found out it was true. He has a hope and he agreed to continue to act on that hope. It's interesting though because he is very intelligent but humble enough to recognize that even though he had never believed in a God before, that it is true, and he has a heavenly father. He asked a question about since God is a God of order and authority then where did God get his authority, and I felt prompted to remember a scripture I felt like I had needed to memorize. 


John 3:12 "If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things?" 

We don't know all the things of God, and won't unless we first believe the foundation. If we do not believe the things God has told us now, doubt them, or place them aside for the knowledge of this world, God will never tell us of heavenly things. If we do not understand basic addition and subtraction we will never be able to understand a calculus equation. I know that this is true for everyone. We have to be ready to accept and act upon whatever answer we receive from God and only then will we receive answers.


Sunday morning we got a text from an investigator named Chris saying he was coming to church. Turns out he had never even had a lesson with the missionaries before, so his first introduction to the church was the Priesthood Session of general conference. Afterwards Chris turned to us and told us that he had been looking for a church like this all his life. He felt a pure peace when he listened to the general authorities in the church and he knew they had that in their life. He wants the same peace in his life and has agreed to meet with us. We stayed an hour after for a lesson with him in which he told us that he had first heard of the Mormons because he studied American politics, and he had noticed the peace Mitt Romney always had in every debate, and in his life. Then he looked up and discovered that he was Mormon. Because of this, when the sister missionaries talked to him on the street he gave them his number, but the sisters were pulled out after that and never got to meet with him. Hopefully Chris and his wife will be able to come to church! Thank you Mitt Romney! Hahaha!




1 comment:

LeAnn said...

Wow, I loved reading about Ruth's missionary experience. She diffiently had more than one miracle there. In the District meeting and Zone meetings they share these kinds of miracle and it is awesome. I can see she will have great success.
Blessings and hugs for Ruth ~