Sunday, August 27, 2017

This Week at Our House # 34




  1. What a week! We sent Ruth off to the MTC, and Kate had her 18th birthday. We got a lot of paperwork submitted on the house, and that seems to be going better than it should, though I am not sure we will have as much money as we need yet. The closing costs are very high. John is doing well. Though we both miss Ruth's presence in our home. 
  2. It was an emotional week for me, so I got a lot of cleaning done. While dirty things are a source of stress for me, cleaning tends to relieve stress because I always feel so good afterwards.
  3. Ruth, of course, left for her mission. Her grandmother sent her to the MTC the morning after she flew to Utah. I heard from Ruth that she is safe and her p-day is on Tuesday. 
  4. Kate had her least exciting birthday as she didn't have Ruth there, and we have to save every penny for the closing on the house. But she was happy and fun to be. And I had a spare lamb roast awaiting an occasion such as this. Kate read an Agatha Christie book to Adam and Rachel and they really enjoyed that. Kate is making a list of what books she wants to read to help prepare her for her mission.
  5. Johnny's foot is getting better, so he is getting around more and doing more. Sometimes he forgets and just walks. Mostly that seems to be good.
  6. I have Adam reading a lot for school. My goal for him right now is to read 50 pages a day. I am hoping to get that up to 100 by the end of the school year. So far, he is doing pretty well hitting 50 pages. 
  7. Since I am in primary, I get to hear Rachel sing her little heart out during singing time and I love it. Rachel reads to Susan and Arwen all the time. 
  8. Anya took Ruth's bed back, except it came with a difference this time. Ruth let Susan sleep with her all summer, so now Susan is sleeping with Anya. When we move, Susan and Sam and probably Arwen will get a separate room.
  9. Joseph wrote a cute letter to Ruth telling her to look in every wardrobe in England.
  10. Joshua drew a series of pictures for Kate for her birthday. Three of them were a picture of Kate and Johnny getting married. Kate laughed and laughed, but Johnny was a bit mortified. Then Kate said to Josh, "But Joshua, what if I want to marry you?" he responded thoughtfully building excitement, "that... would... be... Great!" Kate replied, "If I am going to die an old maid, will you marry me?" he jumped up and down saying "Yes! Yes! Yes!" and professed his love to Kate. Arwen then cried because she wants to marry Josh. In a similar fashion, we had the sister missionaries for dinner of Saturday. When they arrived Josh ran a circle around them chanting, "they are pretty!" I was embarrassed, but once I got Josh settled down, I realized that I was glad he was chanting, "they are pretty," and not, "they are fat," or "they are ugly."
  11. Thursday night Arwen tearfully asked me when Ruth was coming back. I told her not until she was 6.5 and two Christmases went by. Then I told her that when Ruth did come home she would be grown up and need to meet a boy, get married, and have a baby. Arwen perked up excitedly and said, "Ruth can be a mother?" Yes, after her mission and marriage. Arwen lost her tooth the next day. I gave her a plastic bag to put it in and she said that she was going to save it to show to Ruth. I think she has misplaced it now.
  12. We made navajo tacos for dinner Wednesday night. Suzy asked for candy for dinner. I said no, so she screamed, asked again. I said no and again she ran upstairs to cry (probably on your bed). Later she came down and asked for candy again. I said no once more and she ran back upstairs screaming. She came down a second time and asked Dad for cereal. Dad said no, so she ran back upstairs screaming. About the time everyone else was finished eating, she came down and asked for bread. We gave her the naan bread and she went to the table with it and made herself a taco and ate during family scripture study. It was pretty funny.
  13. Sam does not like me teaching school. He cries and wants my attention, not just me holding him, but my full attention. He is going to have to get used to homeschool as a reality. Sam has learned to put his own pacifier in. I saw him fall down, cry, look at his pacifier hanging from his shirt, pick it up, put it in his mouth, and then happily go on his way. Another time, I saw him stressed and crying. I pointed to his pacifier. He put it in his mouth and was just fine. It's been pretty cute and funny.
Pictures
Arwen's first lost tooth




I think Kate burnt her finger while lighting her candles


At Grandma's House before reporting to the MTC

At the MTC

Getting a personal escort inside.


1 comment:

LeAnn said...

I do pray that all goes well with your home purchase. I loved the photos of Ruth going into the MTC; that is such a sweet moment. I'm sure her Grandparents loved doing this one.
Happy Birthday to Kate! I'm excited about her getting perpared for a mission. The number one book that will help her the most is to read; "The Preach My Gospel Guide Book; probably more than once. It will help her so much in the MTC.
I enjoyed your fun stories of the children. I think Sam is so smart that he puts his pacifier in. I am sure he will adjust to your homeschooling. I really love that you have your children read a lot; that is so key to a good education. Children need to learn to enjoy reading.
Blessings and hugs for all!