Monday, August 17, 2015

This Week at Our House # 32



  1. John is really bold about keeping the commandments particularly when it comes to the law of chastity or the sanctity of life. As a result, he gets a lot of slack. More than once he has been chided for his "utter lack of compassion". But I know John, and I know that is not true. He is bold for the truth, yes, and in that, he is showing compassion because he is one of the only people left in the world that willingly calls sin sin. We cannot repent, if we do not know it is sin. But that is not all. John is one of the most generous and compassionate people I know in more ways than one. About 6.5 years ago, we took our family out to a restaurant. A family we knew was already there. We knew that the father had recently lost his job. We could tell that they were embarrassed to have us see them in a restaurant. But John did not judge their choice, he just paid for their meal. John almost always stops and helps people when their cars broken down. Whenever we have had extra money at all, John has insisted we give it to those who have less. But that is not all. John's compassion encompasses other things as well. I had a rocky youth. I had made a few big mistakes the spring and summer before I met John. I was pretty open with John about everything in my past. He did not shun me. He spent tons of time talking to me and being my friend. I am sure, he took me on as "a project" to help along in the gospel. As is typical John, he never once backed down on truth or said that what is sin isn't, but as a result, he was the truest friend I have ever had. And then, of course, when the time was right, he married me. John may be bold, and his words sound harsh to our ears that have been conditioned to hear truth as a matter of judgment. But he does not seriously lack in compassion. I have had fewer personal relationships with someone more compassionate than John.
  2. I spent the week trying to advertise our house more, cleaning a ton, weeding, doing a little more painting, adding a little touch up finishing on some wood, and getting the kids ready for school. It was a long week. I hope we sell this house soon. It's really hard to keep up with so much, but I know we are making the right choices with selling our house and relocating.
  3. Ruth took on a lot of extra shifts at work, so she was gone a lot, and when she was home, she worked at home. I have been very impressed with my kids this summer. I did not know that they had it in them to both work so hard and so long and still be pleasant people to be around.
  4. Kate was about crying by weeks end from all of the work we did. She mentioned that there is no way she can keep this up once school starts. What she does not know is that when 7 kids are gone for 7 hours of the day, the house stays just a bit cleaner. 
  5. We bought an electric lawn mower that has a cord and Johnny has mowed over and destroyed 2 cords. He felt pretty bad about it, but I think I will mow the lawn next.
  6. I grounded Adam from computer games until September because he had gotten very belligerent and rude when we told him to stop playing. But, I have let him play games in exchange for doing some tough chores. Fortunately he has been nice about it.
  7. Rachel has been practicing for her upcoming musical tryouts. She's a really good singer. I hope she makes it in again this year. She loves singing and acting and being on stage.
  8. Anya plays with Suzy all the time. She doesn't know that it's a big help to me, and that I love watching my kids playing together and enjoying each other. 
  9. Joseph is so destructive and so smart. I am not sure another child has cost us more or that another child is as naturally happy and content with life.
  10. Joshua finally had his train ride. I didn't know it, but the trax in downtown SLC is free for some way (I am actually not sure how long) but we rode it from one mall to the next and went to a nice splash pad. It was free, and the kids had a lot of fun. I'll take Josh on more train rides now.
  11. We have 2 momma cats and we sell their kittens for a little (very little) extra income. Arwen, loves the kittens. I love that we can have kittens for 6 to 8 weeks and then get rid of them all. But Arwen just adores them, and surprisingly enough she is starting to be more obedient about not holding the newborns. 
  12. Little Suzy is still grumpy and still having teeth come in. 
This Week's Pictures












2 comments:

LeAnn said...

Fun pictures and fun times; awesome~ I too have a husband much like yours in some ways. He is very compassionate and sin is sin.
I always enjoy reading the updates on your children.
Blessings and hugs!

rozanny said...

So cute!