Monday, November 11, 2013

This Week at Our House #43



  1. What a crazy week it was!!! Hardly anything happened as planned because we got this slow moving flu. John worked from home a few days this week. We are grateful that his employers allow that. This week he will probably just go into work. But it is nice to have him around when we have a bunch of sick people.
  2. We pretty much had to cancel everything this week, so we finally relaxed and got a little more rest. Illness isn't the best rest, but it kept us from running around crazy. I even got sick this time, which is very rare. I usually just take care of everyone and stay healthy. By Friday night I was pretty sick. John and Adam were well enough to do the pinewood derby, so Kate stepped up to the plate, babysat the two youngest and cleaned the house.
  3. Ruth came home from school sick on Friday. She was so distressed that her friends would think she abandoned them and she missed her chemistry test. She will probably have a stressful make-up week this week.
  4. Kate was sick on Thursday. She missed a math test and will have to make that up asap. I knew she wasn't feeling well when she decided to miss a math test.
  5. When Arwen was first ill, I needed to take Adam to the store to get his birthday stuff. Johnny really stepped up to the plate and did something that I am sure is extremely hard for him. Arwen puked twice while I was gone. Johnny cleaned up the puke while Kate cleaned up Arwen. Johnny missed a field trip to the symphony that he had been talking about for a couple of weeks. Poor kid. He never has much homework or make up work. I have no idea how 8th grade has ended up so easy for him.
  6. Adam had his birthday on Monday. He is 9 years old, and the sweetest kid. He's a hard worker at home and at school. He is one of the only athletes in our family. Adam was supposed to have a birthday party at the skate rink on Thursday, but he threw up in school on Wednesday and was pretty sick for the next 48 hours. I lost my phone the same day, so it was really hard to cancel the party. I guess we will try and make it up again at some point.
  7. Rachel seemed to be the only member of the family that didn't get sick at all. She's been healthy and energetic. She goes off track this week. She has through Thanksgiving off from school. John was saying how great that was for her, and I mentioned how I thought it would be better if they all had the same vacation schedule. Then I explained how it will be nice to have some time off now, but will stink when she has school the whole month of June. John then said, oh yeah, it is like spending all of your Christmas money on candy-- you enjoy it now, and regret it later. I really hate year round school.
  8. Anya was sick with a fever and cold on Monday and Tuesday and the stomach flu on Friday. Last night she woke up crying with leg pain. Poor Anya, got it worse than anyone.
  9. Joseph hasn't had the stomach flu yet, but he has had a bad cough and a fever. It's been such a weird week.
  10. Josh didn't eat for about 4 days but never puked so I think he was sick. By Saturday, he had the fever and the cough.
  11. Arwen was the first to get the stomach flu. I think she is the reason so many family members picked it up. Baby's just put their germs on everything. I kind of knew that would be the case and braced myself for a lot of laundry. I just didn't expect to get sick too. We will be happy to leave this week behind us and hopefully do a make-up birthday party for Adam.

This Week's Pictures







3 comments:

rozanny said...

I'm sorry we spread that one to you... sheesh. I didn't even realize that we'd been sick when we saw you. Evelyn threw up once on Friday and not again... by Monday no one else was sick so I thought it was something that she'd eaten. Sorry!

John said...

That's alright Rosanne. It will hopefully give us a little bit of immunity before Christmas. Besides, I was so exhausted. I needed a week to just chill at home.

LeAnn said...

Oh my gosh I am so sorry for you all. That sounds like the worst week ever. We once had all of our children sick with Chicken Pox over the Christmas break. I remember that one.
Blessings and healing for you all!