Sunday, September 29, 2013

This Week at Our House #36


  1. John worked his first full work week in 6 full months. We are all so happy about that and have been praying and praying that he will be successful and love his job. We also fixed the minivan, so now we have two working cars.
  2. I had a party for a couple of my friends who are moving away from UT on Saturday. I had the party at my Mother in Laws house because her house has a big beautiful yard that kids love. After the party we went to Relief Society General Conference. All summer long, I had been trying to understand what to "endure it well" means besides the obvious don't lose your faith. This week, I decided that it probably means how you treat people when things are hard for you. During conference, we were told that keeping your covenants means to love.  "Enduring well" is simply keeping your covenants, and that has a whole lot to do with how you treat other people. And then I was reminded that "charity suffereth long, and is kind...endureth all things" I love General Conference and how my questions are always answered. I can't wait until next weekend when I get to listen to all of the prophets and apostles.
  3. Ruth went to the Bountiful High/ Woodcross High football game on Friday night. That would be her first sporting event. She had a lot of fun. I think Ruth has reached the age where she will be wanting to hang out with her friends on the weekends some more. 
  4. Kate's math teacher told us she is both smart and a hard worker (we know that) so he wants to let her continue to work hard and possibly even get in some calculus before the end of the school year. That is great and all, but we really do not want math to dominate Kate's life
  5. I went to parent teacher conferences for all of the Legacy Prep kids this week. Johnny's gym teacher told me that other parent's expressed concern to him about having a younger kid in the class. Now that is weird to have people I do not know worrying about my kids.His gym teacher told me there is no problem because Johnny was doing all the same physical things as the other kids, and while his size and nerdiness make him target for bullying, Legacy Prep is a perfect match for Johnny. There are only 11 kids in his class and being smart at Legacy Prep is a good thing instead of a bad thing. Johnny is actually fairly respected in the school for being young, knowing all the answers, and getting straight A's. Last year when Johnny wasn't caring about his grades or anything, I spent a lot of time in prayer over the matter. One early spring morning, I jogged past Legacy Prep and had the thought that this was supposed to be Johnny's school. I am very glad I listened. I am also glad that I listened and took him out of public school, homeschooled him. Johnny passed the Sacrement for the first time today. I loved how cute he looked as he tried to suppress a smile while passing to our row.
  6. Adam loves sports! He wants to play basketball this winter and now that John has a job, I can say YES! Hurrah. I get this little bit of time each morning to talk to just Adam. He always talks about playing soccer at school.
  7. Rachel is walking home from school all by herself. She is safe because there are so many neighbors that are walking the same route. A teacher was giving me grief about how I had a big kid jump out and bring Rachel to the car. When I told Rachel that we would need a new meeting place, she refused. So I am now refusing to pick her up at all. But, I think this little bit of independence has been good for her and we will continue to have her walk home.
  8. Anya is already starting to read pretty well. She sounds out words with ease. It's nice to have a child where this step is easy. 
  9. Joseph loves to build with legos. I think it is great that he likes to make things from his imagination. He would build with legos all day if I let him. 
  10. When Josh's hands get messy he does 2 funny things. First, he says, "I have a sticky," then he stands by the sink with his hands in the air and says, "wash my hands!"
  11. Arwen is walking more than crawling now. She is also getting into all of the cupboards and the drawers. As she walks faster, I suspect we will have much bigger messes.

This Week's Pictures


Adam filled a diaper with water and put it under Rachel's pillow. She slept on it and unhappily found it in the morning. This is Rachel and Anya coming to tell on Adam.
Kate's lego Dalek







1 comment:

LeAnn said...

Very sweet pictures and I loved the update as usual. You have such a lovely family. I am so happy about your husband's new job. You do have some interesting fun things going on with the children.
Blessings and hugs!