This week we had parent teacher conferences at the elementary school for Kate, Johnny, and Adam. They each received the peacemakers award. These awards were given to all of the kids in the school who had not been sent to the principals office during the first three months of the school year. When Kate's teacher handed me the award and explained why she got it, I laughed. I exclaimed that most kids must have gotten that award. To my surprise, that is not the case. (Adam's kindergarten teacher indicated the same thing.)I said that I thought you had to REALLY misbehave to be sent to the principals office. The teacher said that indeed this was still the case. I am stunned! I don't think my kids need to be awarded for being civil in the classroom. In fact, I just expect them to behave especially well in school, but also at home. It is just a requirement for being a part of a family, a classroom, and a society as far as I am concerned.
Our neighborhood has 2 other schools. One is called Wasatch Academy and teaches a little differently than the public school, and the other is Spectrum Academy which is designed for kids that fall into the autism spectrum and other disabilities. There are families who have moved into our neighborhood just for this school. It is a great thing for the students who need specialized classes. As a result, our elementary school does not have many kids with disabilities. The kids that are being sent to the principals office are not the kids with autism or ADHD. They are just kids who don't care enough to behave civilly toward the teacher and the other students.
I honestly do not understand what is happening with so many children. I am writing this in gratitude for my own mother and father and for my husband's mother and father who taught John and I with loving discipline and thus handed down good old fashioned parenting skills. A loving mother and father who care enough to let you face the consequences so you can learn and grow are definitely a treasure. I hope that I can teach my children to be good parents and to hand down a treasured legacy from their grandparents who worked so hard to raise my husband and I.
5 comments:
Hi Diane!
It's true, your kids are great and I admire the way that you parent. You guys are great people and great examples to the rest of us.
Thank you for making the world a better place by being a responsible and great parent.
deedee....thank you and yes we still expect our children to do what is right and respectful of others...so what you need to understand is that you are doing what you were taught and I hope and pray that this goes from generation to generation.....love you sweetie M
Deedee....thank you ....I know that Judy raised her children correctly, it is evident in her children....We taught you to be respectful and hard working .... you keep on loving those kids and they will respect you forever and look back and thank you for teaching by example and word.....and YES I Still expect my children to be respectful and do what is right....love you sweetie--M
Really? That's not an award everyone gets? I agree, that being civil and well behaved is a necessary skill in life. Well said.
how wonderful that your children received awards - you can always refer back to that over the next year and say how proud you are of them. Love it! great job too mum! Naomi xx
Post a Comment