I would write about what a wonderful husband and father John is. John is amazing. I am truly blessed with a truly great man as my companion. But, instead, I am going to tell a personal story from before we were married.
My story begins about 22 years ago when I was 12. I was riding with my mom, my sister Lila, and Lila's friend Tina to a Stake Young Womens activity about 45 minutes from our home in Maine. My Mom had the radio on. A song by Def Leopard, "Pour some Sugar on Me," came onto the radio. Lila and Tina blasted the radio. I laid down on the van seat and covered my ears with my arms. I did not like hard rock, and I thought that all boys with long hair were evil. Well, my mom said to me, "you are such a nerd." To give my mom credit, I am sure she did not mean any harm, and she was probably trying to play down my drama so Lila and Tina would not be offended. But, this statement had a profound effect on my 12 year old mind. I was truly hurt, and I was determined to be someone my mother would like. So right then and there I decided that I must learn to like hard rock and to be cool and not nerdy. I began watching MTV with my sister and her friends. (I previously thought MTV was evil.) I decided I would like Poison. So I bought a poster and put it on my bedroom wall, and began memorizing their songs. I did what I could to be like Lila. I even quit trying to be a good student in school, and my friends changed. Two years later, I didn't feel very good with my trying so hard to be cool ( I had to try really hard too, because my real self is really just a nerd.) I read the Book of Mormon through and gained a pretty strong testimony. But I was still conflicted. Most of my friends were not choosing the right. Conflicted is what I remained for years to come. When I was 15 and my sister, Lila had given up all hard rock and decided that Rap was the cool music, I turned to the alternative scene. I took up The Cure as my new favorite band, and I began memorizing Cure songs. Again, my friends changed. I was now, an alternative kid. My friends wore black, baggy weird clothes. I followed. My friends died their hair black and all kinds of colors. I followed. Fortunately, conflicted is what I remained. When I was 16 I decided to read 3 chapters in the Book of Mormon each night. I buckled down in seminary, went faithfully and learned the lessons. I went to all of the church youth activities, and I kept a 3.7 GPA. But by this time, I was very depressed and represented myself as a Cure fan. So I had a rocky/conflicted youth. By my senior year in high school most of my friends were gay and were trying to convince me that I was too. I just think, "YUCK!!!!!!!!!" now, and I am so very grateful for the safety I surrounded myself with by faithfully reading the scriptures.
Well, after high school, I wanted to be near Mormon kids, and I wanted to date Mormon guys. I did not get into BYU. So much to my parents dismay, I went to Ricks College. (I think there was divine intervention in my not going to BYU like I wanted to.) Ricks was fun, and I had great friends, who were really good people. But the guys I dated were all really bad. I know that one was even kicked out of school.One wanted me to do drugs. They were just bad. I still tried very hard to be cool, and I still kept the "I am alternative, cool Cure fan" identity. But all of my friends were good normal girls who were choosing the right. I believe they really thought I was cool-- funny enough.
By the end of Ricks, I decided that I needed to enter the world dressed like every one else. So I did away with the baggy pants and Cure t-shirts, and started looking like most everyone else. My home friends were disappointed. I was the only one with a job, so I felt pretty good about the decision. After Ricks, I decided that I wanted to be closer to home, but not too close. So instead of going to BYU, I went to the University of Michigan. My old bachelor Uncle lived in my grandparents house there, so I moved in with him for about $50 a month. I met John at the labor day picnic for the singles ward. We talked the entire time. I thought John was old and nerdy. John thought I was angry, cool and 18. I was 20, and John was 24. We spent all of our time arguing about "the Fountainhead" by Ann Rand. But it was nice arguing. After about 4 hours of talking, John told me he needed to find someone with a car so he could buy a shower curtain. I had bought a car that summer so I offered. A few days later I got a call from John. We went out to eat and I took him shopping. John and I became friends really fast. We were not at all romantic. John thought he was too good for me, and I thought John was too good for me. But, I considered John my best friend. John probably didn't consider me his best friend, but I was the only person he spent any time with. I was excited to go home for Thanksgiving (My mom is an amazing cook) for the first time in two years. Since John's family lived in Utah, I invited him to come to Maine with me. On the way there, I played Cure songs for John hoping to convince him that the Cure was good. (John only listened to Classical music.) After a while, I asked John what he thought. John in his, "I am always right", blunt tone said, "I like this music too. I listened to it when I was 13. But I knew it was bad and quit right away. I cannot marry someone who listens to music like this because I don't want my children growing up with bad music." This statement hit me about as hard as my mother calling me a nerd when I was 12. I began thinking about all of the horrible guys I had dated. I always said that I would never marry any of them. In fact, I really disliked all but one of the guys I dated. I also realized that what I really wanted in life was to marry a good man like John. I wanted to to marry some one who studied the scriptures and listened to all the sessions of conference. I wanted to marry some one who loved God more than anything else. In fact, I knew that was who I had been really wanting to be for the past 6 years. I didn't make John listen to any more of my music on that trip, and when I got home, I threw away all of my cd's except for the Cranberries and John Denver who I didn't think were bad. I stunned John. He felt bad and bought me classical music cd's. But, I think that John started to respect me at that point.
I felt better once I gave up that music. I wasn't conflicted any more. The only way I can describe my feelings on the matter are it felt like how it feels when you finally pay off a large amount of debt. I was free. I am actually very grateful to John for his little life changing statement.
The rest is history. John and I stayed just friends for about 4 more months. But since we spent all of our spare time together and I had withdrawn any barriers we were just bound to fall in love. John still thought he was too good for me, and I still thought John was too good me. I remember telling my Bishop that I needed to quit hanging out with John because I knew things were changing from just friends and I was not good enough for him. My Bishop actually laughed and said John could not see what good thing he had in front of him. I think that is why I went ahead with the relationship. Once engaged, I decided that I would be the best wife I could so that I could be as good as John. We laugh at that now too, but it was sure the right decision. I still hope I can be an amazing wife for my amazing husband.
Here I am as a nerdy 12 year old.
Here I am with black hair, bad clothes and friends at 16
Here are John and I just after we were married
14 comments:
Isn't it amazing how making good decisions in little things have eternal consequences? If I had decided to not pray about going on a mission I wouldn't have been a missionary... which means I would have graduated from BYU before I would have needed to move into Jer's ward and I never would have met Jer... and I would have been a different person than my post mission self as well... look at what that little prayer did!
LOVED this post, Diane.
Wowzers, that's quite the journey. I think we all have life changing moments. And we all want to be cool at some point. We all try to be someone we aren't. And it's so funny how, right about the time you figure out who you really are - at least for me, and apparently you too - you find the person you end up spending the rest of your life with.
thanks for sharing. and yes, John is an aweosme guy. I've always thought so. nerdy, but who cares? even still - you make him better. Without you he wouldn't be as good as he is. So I agree with your bishop - you are amazing.
congrats on 13 years. I can't even believe it. that's a long time. it goes so fast...
oooooh! I just wrote a super long comment, and blogger had issues at the moment. lame. to sum up:
it's interesting how when we figure ourselves out, we meet the person we end up spending the rest of our lives with. That's how it was with James and I. I had tried to be a certain person that I wasn't, I had tried to be cool at certain times in my life, yada yada yada. but once I was finally ok with just being ME - I met James.
You are amazing Diane. john is really awesome too. I've always thought that. But you make him who he is. He wouldn't be so awesome if he didn't have such a great wife. Congrats on 13 years!
Wow, thank you very much for that awesome post. It was amazing to read how you came through a difficult time with difficult feelings; but it is obvious to me that the spirit was trying to help you along the way. You must be an awesome couple.
Right now I have a granddaughter is struggling with her self image and I hope I can share some of your thoughts with her.
Love and hugs to you!
I loved that story Diane!
I remember your Cure "loving" self. I could tell you were so much better inside than you wanted everyone to believe. Specially when you went on splits with us more than once a week. I'm glad you found a great guy.
You are an amazing woman!
Okay, this post floored me. I absolutely cannot imagine you as a Cure fan. If you can believe it I ran around in the same camp my 9th grade year before my parents made me miserable (and probably saved my soul) by moving me to Provo. It was some of your husband's siblings friends who helped straighten me out. Thanks for sharing, I really enjoyed reading it.
You know Diane, you are really funny! I remember you at twelve and beyond, and I felt like I HAD to live up to you. Sometimes, I still get that feeling. Anyway, I knew you were going to marry dorky old John on that Thanksgiving. I remember going up to Mom, and saying well Diane is going to marry a guy who is shorter than she is. I'm glad you did, because I haven't seen you this happy since you were 12. Congrats on the anniversary.
Deedee...yes teenage years are tough for most...but you had great support from Dad and I and other good people in your life...you were always part of family prayer & scripture time and FHE you went to church faithly every Sunday and even I think brought Christina, you went to seminary...you went on youth temple trips (remember the time our whole family went to DC and Dad and I assisted at the font) and of course girls camp...isn't it nice that the Lord allows us to experience the bitter so we know the sweet..love you mom
Happy Anniversary :)
Enter to win a Lime Ricki swimsuit!
clothed much, a modest fashion blog
What a cute story. I think most people go through funny stages as teenagers--fortunately you got out of yours, unfortunately I think a lot of them don't get out of it. You stuck to the gospel and you were blessed for it--I am way impressed that you stuck so strongly--what a good example for your kids!
Hi Diane. I don't know if you know me, but we're cousins! =) I remember when you and John were married. Thank you for your teenage-struggles post. I too have been effected by another around the big 12 and then again by others through my teenage years. I'm grateful for the opportunity I had to turn my life around and am happy where it has led me.
I hope John's figured out by now what a winner you are. =) I loved reading this.
I LOVE this post!!! So many youth today (and back then!) are looking for their identities in popular culture and don't see their true identities as children of God. I want to share your words with youth everywhere!
This post also made me be sure that I am careful with the words I say and the example I set for my own children. It's sometimes tempting to paint our teenage years as all fun and excitement. And as parents, we also sometimes try to re-live our youth through our kids.
Our youth deserve more!!! Thanks so sharing your story so honestly. What you have to say about this will positively impact many!
(GO NERDS!!!! :-D)
I loved getting to know you and John and your story better through this post. I entered the scene after all John and Mary were each married so I feel like I know very little about it.
I remember coming to terms with (and embracing!) my nerdiness at Ricks College. I finally decided I liked all the things about myself that were not popular/mainstream and that they had gotten me pretty far. And that I am fundamentally more a daughter of God than any other interest I have w/o a doubt.
I remember thinking, even when I only knew Amy and had heard about her family, that this sounded like about themost amazing family on earth. And James was way, WAY out of my league of the kind of guys that I hoped to someday marry but who never had any interest in me. Marriage is a good thing when you can feel like you got the better end of the deal. J still doesn't think so, but I did get the better deal. I'm still trying to be as good as he is.
Post a Comment