Ruth got a coupon from school to go to Lagoon at half price for one day only, yesterday. Ruth asked if we could go, but we did not have the extra money so the answer was no unless she wanted to pay for it herself. It took a while for Ruth to decide if that was worth her own money. Finally, at about 8:30 yesterday morning, Ruth wanted me to take her to Lagoon and she would pay. So I went to Lagoon with Ruth and rode all of the scariest rides. (I used to really like that sort of thing-- now I do it to spend time with my kids.) But this was truly a once in a lifetime outing for Ruth and I. John took the 6 younger kids for the day and I went alone with Ruth to an amusement park for 7 hours. (Timing was good because I am not pregnant and the current baby eats solid foods) We had a lot of fun. I enjoyed having the company of just Ruth. She is quieter without Kate. We had fun trying out the roller coasters. We liked the "Wicked" the best. It was really fast with a lot of extreme twist turns and hills. Funny enough, I think Ruth and I were more frightened stopped over the park on the ski lift, then we were hanging upside down in a roller coaster. But what a treasure to have that much time with my little girl!!!
Now, on the other hand, the environment at Lagoon was not good. We seemed to be surrounded and inundated with vulgarity, immodesty, and inappropriate displays of affection. Ruth and I stood in several lines beside groups of teenage/young adult boys who were swearing and talking loudly about bad movies and music and drugs and sexual activity. At one point a father with some young daughters asked some boys standing in front of us to change their topic of conversation. I was grateful for this. I think I need to be bolder in these situations. A lot of women and young girls were wearing very little clothing. There were also groups of decent looking teenage girls using a lot of vulgar language, including the f-word. Another thing that shocked me was the number of kids, Ruth's age and a year or two older at the park without any adults around or even there.Then there were the couples real young like Ruth's age and up into the mid twenties, who were well I'll just say disgusting in their display of affection. We have been to amusement parks in a few different places and they have all had all of these same elements, but just not so pervasively . I am not sure if I should go back with my kids???????Maybe, it was just a bad day there. John and I will have to think about this some more.
2 comments:
I'm glad you had time with Ruth! It is fun to have times like that. Just remember that Salt Lake is 70% "non-mormon" so I wouldn't expect it to be the mormon culture even though it's in Utah.
That is such a great thing you got to do with Ruth! Seriuosly, what a treasured experience.
I've been to lagoon a few times, years ago,and each time was loads of fun. there were people who were inappropriate of course, but we just tried to not pay attention to them and did our own thing. I'm not saying that's what you need to do with your kids, obviously do what you feel you need to do. I'm just saying that whenever I Was there, that's what I did, and it worked for me.
Post a Comment