Tuesday, April 27, 2010

FableHaven and 2012

Fablehaven Series by Brandon Mull:

                             We read these to our kids over the last 6 months. The first book was very slow at the start. One of the main characters was quite annoying. But it ended well, even kind of exciting, so we decided to continue with the second book to see what we thought. The second book was great. The series seemed to be picking up a lot with a real plot and with definite good versus evil. There were quite a few great fantasy type fights. So we continued with the series. Book 3 and Book 4 were both amazing. We were a little worried about book 5 because so many authors ruin their great series with a terrible or senseless ending. Book 5 was amazing and probably the best written of the 5. Brandon Mull did an amazing job!!! We (John, Ruth, Kate, Johnny, and I) felt like this series was the best fantasy anything that we have read since the Lord of he Rings. Some of the things that I really appreciated about the books were that the good characters were really good people. So often now days immoral and angry heroes fight against evil and their own friends. Not so in Fablehaven. The family loves and cares about each other. They never fight and they know that they can trust their own family members. It was so refreshing to read some kids books that did not include broken messed up families. The plot was original and the fairy world was fun and imaginative. The ending was very well done with all questions answered, and, there was just enough romance to make my girls giddy, but not sick. We loved Fablehaven!!!!

2012:
                            I really only have complaints about this movie. I was looking forward to a good end of the world destruction flick but this was not it. I think that I am probably too critical. The older I get the more hollywood and disney bother me with their social things. I really did just try to enjoy the movie, but after 24 hours I am still thinking of things that annoyed me. 1. I did not like that anyone religious or who even thought to pray were considered just stupid and died. 2.I didn't like the fact that science is what saves the world. What I am saying is that the movie was very anti-religious. In fact, there were scenes of people praying and then being killed by their religious paintings/ statues etc. 3. I did not like that people said that saving 400,000 people would be a miracle when the ships that the people were being saved on were just big boats. The government kept it a secret so there would not be anarchy. But if it was real and a boat and a food supply was all people needed to be saved, virtually the whole population could prepare for that easily. Anyway, I am letting Ruth and Kate watch it and I think they are enjoying it. So I guess it is okay if you don't notice that they bash religion and make science the savior and if you don't notice the ridiculous plot hole.

No comments: