Saturday, February 6, 2010

Day Off

There was no school yesterday. Hurray!! We love no school days. I wanted to do something fun with the kids. Life has been hard for them. I thought it would be worth a little bit of money spent to let them do something.

We woke up just after 8am, skipped breakfast and went straight to video game playing. I wasted an hour finding people on facebook, while Ruth, Kate, Johnny, Adam, and Rachel played Nintendo Game Cube Super Smash Brothers. (They had borrowed this Wednesday from their Grandma.) I did some laundry, fed, changed, and played with the little ones. Then I did my weekly hands and knees wash of the kitchen floor. By then, it was noon time, so I did some more laundry and put a frozen pizza in the oven for lunch. Ruth, Kate, Johnny, and Adam were still playing Super Smash Brothers.

We had planned to meet Aunt Emily and cousins at McDonald's playplace for sundays. I told everyone to come get a peice of pizza while I changed and fed the baby, showered and combed hair. A few pieces of pizza got eaten. But still they played on. At 1pm when I was ready to go I shut off the nintendo game cube. Everyone started complaining that the game was almost over. I said they had been playing for 5 hours straight. They seemed a bit surprised but said, "Cool!" They did get into the car, though. We had fun at McDonald's. I gabbed with Jay and Emily while the kids ran and played for a little over an hour.

We went to the grocery store next to get a few things to make dinner for another family. As soon as we were home, they headed back for the nintendo. I played a game on the computer, read and did an art project with Rachel and Anya. I am sure I fed the baby too. The kids played on. When I needed to get dinner put together I kicked the kids off of the nintendo once again. I put Ruth and Kate to work and told Johnny that he had to read for an hour. Well, guess what Johnny read???? The manual for the Super Smash Brothers game!!!!!! And of course when Dad came home, it was Super Smash Brothers again. I believe my children played that game for a total of 9 hours yesterday. And can you guess what they did first thing this Saturday morning?

4 comments:

Priscilla said...

Sounds like a fun day to me! Nice that you had some time here and there to do some things that you enjoy, as well. My kids are like that, too. Especially if their daddy plays the video game with them. They got the New Super Mario Bros. game for Christmas, and have since then gone through phases where they will play for hours on end, if I let them. I like it because they're usually getting along when they're doing it. Right about the time I'm thinking they've been spending too much time playing video games, they move on to some other obsession. Occasionally I have to break out the timer, though! :) Hope things are going well with the new job and everything!

Bethany said...

When it is time to turn the TV/video games off I get out my imaginary magic wand in one hand and with the other turn it off and say, "I set you free." They actually thank me sometimes, not often but sometimes.

John said...

Yesterday Johnny asked me to ground him from video game time because he hasn't been getting enough exercise. Funny.

rozanny said...

That's hilarious! And it sounds somewhat familiar too... when we have Jacob here... all he wants to do is play Age of Empires... and when he's not doing that he's reading the manual or mapping out what his own made up game or civilization would be like. Every now and then he'll get distracted by Jers legos or a book... but mostly it's Age of Empires.