Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Gender Idenity (Not For All Readers)


Since I am printing these and keeping them for a journal I am printing something that other people may be offended by. But I have found it so funny that I just needed to write it down.

I recently read some developmental material on three year olds. Adam is now three and I like to read things like that as a reminder every once in a while. This keeps me from being too surprised or alarmed at my children's behavior. One thing that this article mentioned that I did not know was that at three children start to recognize gender difference. When I read that, I thought, well Adam does seem to know who is a girl and who is a boy in our family, but I am not sure he has any idea why some of us are girls and some of us are boys. A few days passed and I forgot all about this with Thanksgiving and everything. Then one evening after Rachel's bath Adam came into my bedroom where I was drying Rachel off and putting some lotion on her before I put on her diaper. Adam asked me what I was doing and I told him. Then he said with surprise, "Mommy, Rachel not have a private." So three is the age when children notice the difference between boys and girls. I did try and explain that Rachel was perfectly normal for a girl, but Adam insisted that private parts just do not exist for Rachel.

1 comment:

Becca said...

I don't know why I find it entertaining when kids make that discovery. I don't remember how it happened...maybe emily can help us out, but I think James had a similar experience when he saw aubrey or mariah getting their diaper changed? I can't quite recall. But it tends to make me laugh, that discovery of gender difference.