Monday, November 12, 2007
Adam
While I was preparing to make grilled cheese sandwiches I had the grill heating on the counter. Adam climbed up to watch me as he often does. He looked at the grill and said, "It's hot." I said yes it was and he should not touch it. A moment later I saw Adam jump back and grab his mouth. I said, "You didn't just put your mouth on the hot grill did you?" Adam said, "It burned me." I handed him a glass of water and left to set the table. I heard Adam crying to John that he got burnt and John saying something a long the lines that he should have obeyed his mother, but that he was sorry that he was hurt. Adam sounded rather distressed so I got him an ice cube which he stuck onto his chin. Apparently, he had rested his chin on the hot grill. I didn't worry too much. But then he asked for another ice cube just as we were sitting down to dinner. I brought him the ice cube expressed some concern, but said that he should have obeyed and not touched the grill. Adam very defiantly declared that he had obeyed because he did not touch the grill with his fingers. Well, the poor guy has a big popped blister on his chin that will take a few days to feel better and we hope that he doesn't get a scar. I guess I will have to be more specific in the future and mention that you should not touch hot things with any of your body parts.
This just reminded me of another Adam story. A few days ago while I was cleaning the bathroom Adam wandered in picked up the bottle of Ammonia water and in a very serious voice said, "Mom, this is poison. You should not drink this." I assured him that I was only planning on using it to clean with, but thanked him for the advice and concern.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
last time i saw adam he was pretty much silent the whole time. it sounds like he's pretty 'grown-up.' What a cute kid.
Wow--that reminds me of when I used to let Elizabeth cook with me (mostly because she would wreck the house while I made dinner if I didn't).
We had a gas stove, and once when she bent to smell the dinner, she actually smoldered some of her bangs! It is so difficult to keep some children safe!!
Oh my heck that is 100% James. I am not even kidding. Just today he did something just like that. I told him not to do something, and then he did it, just slightly differently and then when I got after him for disobeying me he argued that I didn't say that specific thing....boys....sheesh.
Post a Comment