So we had some winter weather, last weekend, which rarely happens here. It was over 60 degrees on Wednesday, and ice and snow on Friday and Saturday.
Sam and Gideon were up at midnight Friday night stepping on and off the front porch yelling about snow and ice and more excited than they were for Christmas. They were adorable. When Gideon first went out in the snow on Sunday morning, he came back in immediately crying. I don't think he expected the cold. But later he went out and stayed out a long time enjoying the winter weather.
The city closed the highway Friday evening after several car accidents including one car sliding over a guard rail and landing in the water (no one was injured or died but still terrifying).
I don't drive in the snow or ice at all here, even though I learned to drive in snow out of necessity from living in Maine. But many people here don't comprehend that you slow day and stay back when there's ice on the road. Someone even made a comment on the local news facebook page that no one anywhere knows how to drive on ice-- granted it is always dangerous-- but there are parts of the world that would shut down for 3 months a year if there was no possible way to drive in this weather. So in North Carolina, if we get winter weather, I take a vacation and drive no where.
Our North Carolina chickens like to sleep outside and did not go in last night and woke up with a sheet of ice on their backs. The ducks and geese had more sense. They're still inside.
The two little boys were more excited at the prospect of snow last night then they ever were for Christmas. And the middle boys were up early and outside.
Sometimes, I think it would be nice if we could do a house exchange for a month. I'll trade with someone in Maine. They can take our house for January and enjoy the warmer weather and my kids can experience a Maine winter. But jobs and schools don't really allow that.
1 comment:
Trading home sounds fun; I don't think I would choose a cold place. Utah is cold enough for me. I have enjoyed seeing the weather you have there. Many of my ancestors came from North Carolina. I'm sure I still have distant relatives living there.
I think it is cute that your children wanted to go out in it. I remember how my children reacted to snow. Some were very upset and others just jumped in.
I am amazed how many drivers in Utah don't know how to drive in snow. I grew up driving in the snow all the time.
Blessings and hugs!
Post a Comment