Sunday, April 8, 2018

This Week at Our House # 14 Spring Break and a Birthday


We had a nice spring break with warm weather all week. We went to the beach on Monday, had Rachel's birthday on Tuesday, did house projects on Wednesday, yard projects on Thursday, and free days Friday and Saturday.


  1. The 30 hour project that John did for a possible job has turned into a phone interview which he will have Tuesday afternoon for approximately an hour. John continues to work very hard on his own things. He stays up all night most nights working. Goes to bed around 7am, sleeps 6 hours, gets to work again, spends about an hour doing scripture study with the family and gets back to work. 
  2. I finished reading the 8 book Anne of Green Gables Series for the fourth time. I love them so much. I am always sad when I finish those books. They are like family to me. Actually,my great grandparents lived just a few miles from Prince Edward Island and left the area not too long after the time period the last book was written, so while these are all fictional characters, I feel like I can claim some kinship to the area. I went through all of our clothes storage. I haven't done this seriously since we unpacked from our move from Utah. It took me several hours. I got the kids their spring and summer clothes out. That is probably my least favorite project. I got some things planted in the garden. I have one row of potatoes that have come up well, and I had several more potatoes that we were going to eat, sprout, so instead of eating them, I planted them in the row of potatoes that did not seem to grow. I have a lot of tomato, pepper, and butternut squash seedlings all sprouted from seeds that I harvested from our store bought food. I will get those planted in the garden in about two weeks.
  3. Ruth is such a good girl. I worry about her, but I know that the Lord will bless her with the appropriate inspiration to deal with whatever she needs to because she is doing all she can to be right and good and to know God. 
  4. Kate loves the Anne of Green Gables books like I do, and even had me wait to finish the last one so I could read it to her. That is why while I was feeling sad that the books had ended, I remembered that I had gotten a free kindle book called, the Story Girl from the same author and started reading it to Kate. I had read it years ago and loved it and now Kate is loving it.
  5. Johnny is making a game for an android phone too, and while he had spring break, he still made progress on his game. We are hoping that he will be able to earn some mission money from this.
  6. On our yard work day, I had Johnny and Adam dig about a 2 foot deep trench the width of my garden to bury our leftover food and kitchen scraps in as a slow release fertilizer. Adam quite liked the trench and got the kids going on a game of world war 1. We have these trees that have dropped a lot of woody spike balls, so those are their ammunition. I love my kids playing like this. 
  7. All day Monday, Rachel was very excited for her Birthday on Tuesday. I think she enjoyed her birthday and was very grateful with her very small gifts. She got Kate to play with her for hours over the whole week as a sort of birthday present too, but could never feel satisfied that it was enough.
  8. I don't really have a story to tell about Anya. She is my sweet, quiet girl. She loves to play with Rachel and Joseph and is very obedient when I tell her to do any chores. She's always a delight.
  9. Joseph got to play outside all week and and so our house was less bouncy and since we did not do any school, Joseph and I got along better.
  10. Joshua and Susan both like to claim Arwen as a playmate. Joshua often gets Arwen because he is older and that makes Susan cry and tattle that Josh is hurting her.
  11. Arwen has decided that no one can call her anything but beautiful and pretty. If you say she is smart or cute, she corrects you.
  12. Susan kept walking up to Rachel randomly and saying, "you're cute!" We moved the toys from the hallway that connects the 3 kid bedrooms and bathroom to Susan's room because each night she is sent to bed, Susan would get up and dump out all the toys and block the entrance to the bathroom. Now she leaves them alone because she does not like staying in her room.
  13. All the boys were out in the yard having a stick/sword fight using pvc pipe they found in the woods. Sam stood in my window watching them, grabbed a plastic sword pointed it at his brothers and said, "yay! yay! yay!" Then the boys took him out and he joined in their sword fight. The boys all came in and reported how cute Sam was taking his sword and hitting theirs.
Pictures













































3 comments:

LeAnn said...

Your spring break looked so fun. I love how all the children play together and I especially love how they play outside and do different kinds of things. I think that is the way children should play instead of always being on electronics. I will pray you dear John gets a job soon and the interview goes well.
You younger children are so adorable and growing fast. I love all the things the older children do. I love how you read to them and they mostly all love to read; good job.
Sending loving thoughts and hugs your way!

rozanny said...

I love how grown up your kids are getting. I love that they're using the sticks for sword fights. That is what my kids do too... especially Seth. He pulls all the others into his stick/sword fights. I love that Susan leaves the toys alone if they're in her own room. That's hilarious. Your Spring Break sounds heavenly and your garden sounds like it's taking off.

The Wright Family said...

Have you read 'Jane of Lantern Hill' by Lucy Maud Montgomery? It's a favorite at our house!