Monday, January 1, 2018

Stories from Ruth #16


Ruth sent me this:
Write on your blog I want to say thank you for all my Christmas presents because I forgot to send it to everyone and I don't know who sent me them.

Well happy New Year everyone! I honestly cannot remember what happened this week. We visited a lot of members and I love the members in this ward. They are really fun and I am definitely putting on weight this transfer. The elders don't want to eat as much, because they don't want to gain weight, so I think a couple people like to feed us more, because we don't care about the weight gain. Haha! The elders do get fed more because they have a car though. 

We have a couple members who live in our area so we visit them often. One of them is like our mother away from home, and her two boys are the cutest little kids! They are from Brazil and know a little English so they are teaching me Portuguese! 

One of the highlights of my week was actually remembering enough French to speak to a little French girl and her brother from a part member family. It is interesting how I feel sometimes we are put in a place to help certain members. Often times the spirit prompts me to know what to teach them clearer than that of some investigators. 

Missionary work has been rough with the holiday season. Everyone is busy and I understand since many people have family over but goodness you would expect everyone to be more loving around Christmas and the Christmas season to be easy missionary work. Let me tell you: it is a lie. Goodness! Most people are even grumpier. Haha! But it was fun! I am excited for this new year! 

Do you know how many appointments we had to make for after this new year? Like all of them! I love seeing the difference the gospel makes in the lives of people though! They relax and are happier, because they are coming unto Christ which is joy! They have the light of Christ in them and are learning to recognize God and his answers to them. 

Our recent convert Michael is doing amazing! He reads the scriptures every day and attends church.
He reads more scriptures than He did and there is a recognizable light about him since he received the gift of the holy ghost. I love when he tells us that he was reading scriptures and he felt so good and so he kept reading more and is doing better understanding them. He is even sending us scriptures he likes and why. He is doing so good! I am so happy! The Elders also had a baptism this week! His name is Ade! It was awesome to be there! I love going to baptisms! They give me hope! So do people's conversion stories!

I have become good friends with several of the girls my age here and even some of the guys. They are really good. Two are returned missionaries from the Scotland-Ireland mission. Katie is amazing! She is hilarious and is always taking care of the missionaries. Joseph is awesome. He just got home two weeks ago we we met him that Thursday. He is always going to scriptures and is befriended Michael. Thank you! I love returned missionaries! I abhor how people tell them that they need to be like how they were before or adjust. Stop it! No! Keep going! God did not send you on a mission just to have you return to the way you were before!


1 comment:

LeAnn said...

I really loved reading Ruth's update. I love that she is enjoying her missionary experiences. You can tell a good missionary by their attitude and she is just where you would want her to be. She loves the people and that is the number one things of all. Members do like to feed the missionaries and weight gain for the Elders is usual. Here in Utah it is worse because thy eat in members home all week.
She is having fantastic experiences with multi cultural famliies which is a great expereince for her.
Sending your sweet missionary blessings and hugs!