- John's job could not get funding renewed for his contract, so he is looking for a new contract once more. That is the nature of contract work as we have learned over the last 3 years. It can be very rough. But we know all too well that while it seems very hard, all will be well. The Lord is mindful of our needs and can do all things. John has made a lot of progress on the wood floor. We are now into the kitchen. I think it will be pretty tough from here til the end as there are several nooks and hard cuts.
- I have started working on a new website about our inexpensive home and trying to grow our own food and living a more natural life. We need our home "Briarhovel Homestead" because it is inexpensive and there are plenty of briars in the woods. When I get it going more, I will post it up here. I worked on that website, cooking a whole lot to feed this family, getting us the rest of the way unpacked, and pulling out sod to make room for a garden this week as well as full time schooling and all of the regular chores and errands. I put cardboard and the net from our old trampoline on the flower beds to keep weeds from growing. In the spring I will get them planted and put some pine mulch from our woods. I am trying to find poison free ways to take care of the weeds and the garden. I want to have an organic home and yard as much as possible. I also have plans to get chickens and ducks and maybe a milk goat.
- I love hearing from Ruth every week. I get an email on Monday or Tuesday. Those are the days to look forward to each week now.
- Kate is reading the History of Church and learning so much. She is always telling us what she is reading about. She plays with the all of the kids a lot and helps around the house. She will be leaving on a mission in under a year and is so excited for that.
- Johnny is always doing things to help around the house. He has been making cookies for the family almost everyday for lunch. Homemade cookies are our least expensive lunch. Johnny has learned to use the table saw fairly well even though it terrifies him. He has done a few of the hardest cuts for the floor.
- Adam loves to eat, so he is motivated to cook. He has learned how to cook eggs recently, and he often makes different forms of chocolate milk and hot chocolate. John loves this and often asks Adam to make him a snack.
- Kate over heard this funny conversation between Anya and Rachel. Anya was trying to wake Rachel up probably because Rachel'll sleep til noon if we let her. Being delirious, I expect, Rachel happily popped up and said, "It's Friday!!!" Anya responded, "No, it's Wednesday." Rachel, in the most tragic voice you can think of, said, "No Not Wednesday!" and then rolled over in bed and sobbed.
- Anya's grandmother bought her an American Girl Doll that came in the mail this week. She watched for it diligently everyday before it came. She even seemed to brighten the mail lady's day when she burst out excited for package to arrive. When it came she played American Girl Dolls with Rachel and Kate for 2 hours. She is a very happy little girl. During science this week, Anya called transition metals, "tradition metals" and gamma radiation, "gramma radiation"while being quizzed on the definitions.
- Joseph wasn't the one to pull down the shower curtain in the bathroom or to pull down the curtain in the bedroom, but he was the one to pull on the cord to the modem, dropping it on the floor, just because there was a cord that could be pulled. Joseph was the only one sent out into the rain to run off his energy, so the rest of us could live peaceably inside.
- Joshua called safety pins, "protection pins" because he forgot their name. Joshua talks constantly and asks a gazillion questions. Two of his more interesting questions were how much are whales worth, and how many birds does it take to make a tornado?
- Arwen says funny things all of the time. She doesn't think they are funny at all. In fact, she is often very serious about what she says, but this week, we have collected a treasure of Arwen sayings. 1)While looking over bridge into murky still water, she said, "Ah Kate, you know whats in that? Definitely crocodiles, you know. And they eat kids!" 2)"Kate, dolls can't have families because they are only dolls, but they can be friends if you are nice to them". 3) "Kids don't want to be dead. Is that right Dad? Crocodiles want you to be dead, ... or eaten." 4)Sam's not the only one that can bite everything. Susan can bite. Susan bites everybody. Sam bites everybody too. Sam bites me, mom ...But crocodiles don't know what people taste like. They don't know. Right Dad?" And the grand finally #5) Referring to bedtime, "I think I'm going to be afraid of that, so you can't make me do it."
- Susan shares a room with Sam now and all of our bedtime problems have been resolved. She just goes to bed when Sam goes to bed and she doesn't get into everyone's things anymore.
- Samuel turns one tomorrow. My little baby is not so little anymore. He never was. He has always been my biggest baby by far. He is over 21 lbs (the same weight that most of his sisters were at 2.) He loves to eat, and pull things out of the cupboards. I need to remember to video tape his darling little toddler walk. I love watching him stomp around the house. We don't have any indoor stairs in our new home and that has been nice. No more stair climbing for Sam. But I am amazed to see him easily pull himself up onto chairs and benches.
Pictures
| This is part of our front yard. Amongst thos pine shrubs that kids have made a little village with store fronts. |
| Why the name Briarhovel |
| Our yard is just so beautiful. It's hard to believe we got this place for $50,000 |
| This is in the back yard with the grapevines (that will make good juice) |
| John really likes the brick wall papers with the wall paper pictures in the living room so they will stay. |
2 comments:
Back to Eden gardening may interest you and cuts back on weeds tremendously.
I do love reading about all of your events and how the children are doing. So sorry to hear about John’s word situation. Sending prayers that he will find a good job. I alwsy enjoy hearing the funny things your children say. Todays were so cute.
Happy that Ruth is ienjoyin g her mission and that Kate is being a positive role model and such a great help for you.
I love those American Girl dolls; they are so cute. We gave our girls these dolls years ago. My girls used to play with the dolls for hours too. Very excited about all the property that you have for the children to expore and for lessons.
The photos for the week were fun as always. Very interesting that you got the home for $50,000 dollers. ‘
Well that all for now. Have a good rest of the week.
Sening prayers and hugs our way!
I
Post a Comment