Friday, February 3, 2017

Parenting: the Hard Parts




I feel like there are three hard things that parents need to help their children accomplish: potty training, reading, and driving. All of those take significant effort depending on the child and all are necessary parts of becoming a successful adult. Of course, some kids will be easier than others in all three of these categories. But no matter how easy or hard it is, it is always effort.  I always feel accomplished and relieved when my kids meet these milestones.



So far I have:
9 kids potty trained with two more to go.
7 kids reading with four more to go, and
1 kid driving, with 10 more to go.




This year I will be potty training one, teaching one to two of them to read, and teaching two of them to drive.

I kind of expect helping your kids obtain a successful marriage will end up fourth on my list of hard things for a parent. I haven't gotten there yet. In another 2 to 4 years, I will know whether or not that is hard enough to add to my list.


3 comments:

Rozy Lass said...

I would add handling money and working to that list.

LeAnn said...

I agree totally with your list and I think you have already done a terrific job in all of the areas. I thnk you have a busy year for sure but I know you will do it. I would say that for me the hardest of all is raising adult children. Dont' look forward to that one! Blessings and hugs~

rozanny said...

I'm starting Seth potty training.... bleech..... not my favorite thing ever. He likes doing everything except the actual pee or poop. I'm debating whether to try to force it or wait until summer.