Monday, January 26, 2015

This Week at Our House # 4



  1. After 10 long months, it's finally happened-- the miracle we have been waiting for. John signed a contract last Wednesday, and he begins work today. It's contracted work. He won't have any benefits, but the pay is double to make up for that plus the small business taxes. He'll work from home, which is good since we are down one car and not in a position to buy another. It's been a long, hard time. The kids hardly believe that it's true. Everyone wants me to quit working now. I will, eventually. I think we still feel a bit traumatized. We've barely mentioned it even among ourselves-- like somehow it won't be real if we talk about it.
  2. I am still working for a little bit.We need to get through until we get the tax return and the first pay check.
  3. Ruth has a dance class and a ceramics class this semester. I think she will enjoy them both, and especially enjoy the break from a straight set of serious academic courses.
  4. Kate's been mourning the loss of her last semesters seminary teacher and class. This semester, the teacher began the class talking about how they need to get along and be friends. Kate looked around and noticed that a lot of the people she does not get along with are in the class. I think this will be a good challenge for her. It's something we all need to work on.
  5. Johnny had homework!! It really frustrated him.
  6. Adam and Rachel have been fighting like cats and dogs and I am tired of being a referee.
  7. Rachel was the only kid that had a cavity this last dentist time. Poor girl. But she bravely got her filling done without any noise.
  8. Anya is about to loose her first top front tooth, just as Suzy is growing hers in.
  9. Joseph can be such a good boy, I am just not sure I'll make it to his adulthood as a sane person while I wade through the not as good parts of his decision making.
  10. Josh keeps taking everyone's things and putting them on his shelf in his closet. He took $241 from Ruth, and legos and food from Johnny and Adam. I wish I knew how to get this to stop.
  11. Arwen can dress and undress herself better than Josh can.
  12. Suzy has her first front tooth. The other one has not cut, yet, so we are in for more teething. She pulls herself up and climbs a few stairs. She definitely needs to be watched all of the time now.



4 comments:

kristine barr said...

So glad to hear about the job. Hopefully it will remain constant or something else will develop from it which includes benefits.

LeAnn said...

I am thrilled that you husband got a job; and the bonus is that he can work at home. I love having my husband work at home.
I do hope you get to quite soon.
I do love your updates and this was the best.
Blessings and hugs!

clin133 said...

So happy to read some good news!

Marcie said...

Congratulations!!! When that first paycheck comes you definitely need to celebrate to make it real! I understand about being traumatized and not hardly believeing it. I'd feel the same way. My husband has been out of work for exactly 18 months. We're coming up on the 2 year anniversary of his decision to quit. We fasted and prayed about it and received many answers that it was the right thing to do. I persuaded him to finish his contract--the next 5 months (Feb 2013-July 31). I believed a job would come in the meantime. When it didn't we kept with our decision to quit, thinking a job would come shortly thereafter. Now I'm really stumped. I had NO IDEA it would be this long. I'll keep trusting as you have done and remember your faith even though I don't even know you. I've loved checking for your updates as I've mourned no news for us either. Congrats again! I'm so happy for you!