Thursday, May 16, 2013
Being Real: Unemployment
We know John will get a job and possibly very soon. We know we need to have faith in order to receive the blessings. This is not a complaining or a doubting post. I just want to explain some of the difficulties of unemployment.
Before John lost his job, I would spend a little extra every month of items just to store. After a couple of years, we had acrued only about 3 months of food storage as well as a few items we considered more for long term storage. Since, we were struggling and living at the very edge of our income anyway, I wouldn't say we were prepared for a long period of unemployment. We have been using our storage. We had some food, soap, shampoo, cleaning products and toiletries. They have helped us, but we are running out. We have pretty much used up all of our stored meat, bread, cereal, and baking supplies. We are down to grinding wheat to make bread, a few cans of fruit and veggies, soups, chili, and beans. We are now at the tough point. The kids keep telling their dad to get a job when they find out we have run out of another item.
In regular unemployment life I would shop every couple of weeks. When I shopped, I did not have to buy everything and that kept our grocery bill down. When I can go shopping again, I will have to buy everything. That is going to cost a LOT! I suspect my first grocery trip after John gets a job will be around $1000 dollars. We need everything! I will have to spend an additional amount on toiletries and cleaning supplies too. It will be hard to make up for the lost shopping trips. I suspect it will take us another two years to get all of our basics plus another 3 months of food storage.
In addition to the basics, we would usually buy a big ticket item about once a month. We have not been buying those. We have this growing list of "When you get a job we need to buy" items. Those items include shoes, clothing, tires for the van (they are nearly smooth now), repair items for things that have broken, items for yard care, and some shelving and a mattress for Anya, paint and painting supplies for the inside of the house that were already on our "to buy list" before the job loss.
When I am being real, I have to admit that unemployment puts us behind. It will take some serious financial planning and a couple of years to catch up. However badly we planned for this event, I am glad that we had the storage we did to get us through.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Bummer:(, I hope this period ends soon!
you can get food from the Bishops storehouse thru your Bishop, just make an appt and he will set it up for you sit at church with your RS Pres and fill out the list...you really really should consider doing this for the kids. I know you will be able to get some soaps also.
Bwahahahaha! I love the picture that you posted! Made me laugh. We might have a matress for Anya... I know I have one in my basement but I need to ask my friend if it's hers before I promise it away.
I pray that John will get that job soon. We have been out of work 3 times over the years and it is hard and catching up isn't easy; but it is doable.
Remember that you have been faithful and therefore you are certainly in the position to get help from the Bishop. Fast offering are there to help you. When I pay our fast offering I would love knowing that it went to a family like yours that works hard and are very self reliant. We all have times in our lives that we can use some help; that is exactly why we have the welfare program of the church; which really is for everyone in different circumstances.
Blessings to you all!
I'm sorry Diane. That isn't easy, but I do know Heavenly Father is looking out for you and you will be stronger because of this. :)
Post a Comment